Perfect Strangers (When can the new chicks meet the Hens?)

I am working on intergating 4 9 week olds with 5 19 week olds. I sectioned a covered part of the run and put a temporary shelter for the younger girls to use. They can see each other and come to the dividers to check each other out. The older girls are far more interested in the young ones than vice versa. When I let the older girls out (or the young ones) into the pen to scratch in the grass and leaves I leave the others in the big run area that is next to the pen so they can see each other. I will probably continue this arrangement until the 9 week olds are closer in size and then see what happens. Wish me luck.
It's always good to have more than one "newbie" - it distributes the picking! I hate just having a single bird to add, I feel like I just put a live target out there for the others
hmm.png

You have almost as many new birds as the established flock, I think it should work very well...

Well hopefully i wont have one of each to look at
gig.gif
I just want to have hens :} I am going to get them friday morning , as soon as i get home I will post pictures here and wait for the good news that I indeed did get three hens
fl.gif
lol.png
I hear ya! Nothing like getting a little unwanted surprise!

I can't wait to see pics :)

- Did the guy tell you how they have been raised/housed?

lol.png
I hear ya! Nothing like getting a little unwanted surprise!

I can't wait to see pics :)

- Did the guy tell you how they have been raised/housed?

He did tell me that they are outside now in the coop with no light :) He has two different sets of chicks. He said the ones that I am getting one is 11 weeks old and two are 8 weeks old but are living together now?? If i get there and I dont like the way they look or if they dont look clean. I probably wont get them. As soon as I get home Friday from getting them I will be posting pictures :)

I think the Sussex are hens. At least I hope so because they look like mine and I want her to be,
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom