Perkin duck breathing trouble

sunshine2378

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2021
Hello everyone I need some guidance, so I heard of SDS with ducks so one day I went out to where they were at and I found my duck she was probably 5 months old 6 months old on her back and I flipped her over but ever since she's been having breathing problems I took her to the vet we did x-rays grit is not in the right spot her liver was enlarged and her lungs were inflamed so we put her on it antibiotic and meloxicam for 2 weeks it's not helping her getting better but it's not getting worse she's still eating and swimming cleaning all those things but she's not really vocal and sometimes she has a hard time breathing she breathe with her mouth open the next thing I'm going to try is to get her tested for mold spores but none of my flock is sick except her it's getting cold outside should I bring her in she's all puffed up like she's cold but I don't want to shock her and do you have any ideas what this could be the that had no clue and it was a poultry vet what is going on with her.also I use straw , and I turned the ground over where they're at every other day but they're all free range anyways.any help would be appreciated I just want to help my little duck have the best life possible

Did the vet test for Aspergillosis? I'd assume there would be a test for it. Since it's fungal maybe he should treat her for it?
If she is acting cold it maybe better for her to be inside chilling isn't good when one is sick.
I'd talk with the vet and ask if they can get her on a fungal med for Asper just in case that is what is going on. :welcome

Are you 100% sure that you're using straw and not hay? I only ask because hay molds very very easily in wet conditions. I agree bring her inside if she is visibly cold.

Did the vet test for Aspergillosis? I'd assume there would be a test for it. Since it's fungal maybe he should treat her for it?
If she is acting cold it maybe better for her to be inside chilling isn't good when one is sick.
I'd talk with the vet and ask if they can get her on a fungal med for Asper just in case that is what is going o testing n
Are you 100% sure that you're using straw and not hay? I only ask because hay molds very very easily in wet conditions. I agree bring her inside if she is visibly cold.
We are testing for asper next ,I believe that to be the cause and yes I grew up on a horse farm and only by my buy my stuff from a close farm friend .
Thank u both so much ,I'm going to bring her in ,its really cold and wet in Michigan right now

Keep us updated on how she is doing.
We test for the Aspergillosis waiting for the results but she seems to be doing okay she's still eating drinking swimming cleaning the only thing is she doesn't really eat the food that I put out for her but if I get her worms and minnows and those types of things she will eat it up she used to love eating cucumbers but she won't eat them anymore I don't know why

We test for the Aspergillosis waiting for the results but she seems to be doing okay she's still eating drinking swimming cleaning the only thing is she doesn't really eat the food that I put out for her but if I get her worms and minnows and those types of things she will eat it up she used to love eating cucumbers but she won't eat them anymore I don't know why
Hello there I just wanted to give you an update on cheese hello there I just wanted to give you an update on cheese she's doing amazing we did a round of antibiotics for like two and a half weeks almost 3 weeks and the meloxicam we tested for the fungus poisoning it was not that she was negative I study kept giving her the max cam for another 2 weeks and she's doing amazing like she is running around you can't even tell that she even had any breathing problems and I was really scared cuz everything I read usually by the time you find out that a duck has a problem it's too late I did however bought some poultry vitamins and I put like four or five drops and her water and all the water that she can get to on the property I still continuously give her the vitamins but yeah she's doing amazing 😀

Back
Top Bottom