Permaculture Talk and best $1.99 E book ever!

It's important to remember that no matter how good our intentions are, we can't do everything at once. I have been taking baby steps. I'll start listing so of the changes we made here. Some, like getting your meat wrapped in paper instead of on Styrofoam trays) are easy others take some effort. My thinking is that the important thing is to be moving forward.

Permaculture thought for the day: consider buying dry goods in bulk and storing then in glass containers to reduce what you send to the land fill. I buy pickles at win-co in 1/2 jars that I saved and reuse. I also asked a local restaurant to save the gallon jars that mayo and dressing come in. We are big pickle eaters so I saved 20 jars this year plus another 15 from friends and neighbors. I have lots of gallon jars too.I try to avoid plastic but we do have a few 5 gallon buckets for flour since with six of us we bake lots of bread.

I keep a list on my phone when we are running low and buy for a month or so at a time. The bulk food is much cheaper (sugar was 32 cents a pound) and even regular grocery stores have many organic choices.

Hello.
I'm wondering how your garden is coming along.
I have a back yard garden and a plot that is long and narrow 60" x 120 that i would like to develop.. it has some old apricot tree's that have produced 1 time in the last 4 years.. ( frost has gotten the blooms other years)

I would like to plant various fruit trees / berry's but dont know where to start.. after watching lots of youtube video .. thinking about hugulculture (sp?) but then i saw conflicting thoughts about whether thats good or not for tree's.

I live in zone 6b in SW kansas.. with lots of wind and heat in summer.. the plot is very slightly concave shaped and would get some water runn of from the neighbors house

I did a lasagna garden in back yard the 2nd year here and it did good untill winter when the winds blew the layered materials off the soil.. I've lost lots of mulching material due to the wind.. I' have green manures seed but dont know how to use them best..

I was glad to see your post here and it looks like its been a while since you posted to this thread .. I'm curious how things have come along for you.
happy gardening
Debra

Hello.
I'm wondering how your garden is coming along.
I have a back yard garden and a plot that is long and narrow 60" x 120 that i would like to develop.. it has some old apricot tree's that have produced 1 time in the last 4 years.. ( frost has gotten the blooms other years)

I would like to plant various fruit trees / berry's but dont know where to start.. after watching lots of youtube video .. thinking about hugulculture (sp?) but then i saw conflicting thoughts about whether thats good or not for tree's.

I live in zone 6b in SW kansas.. with lots of wind and heat in summer.. the plot is very slightly concave shaped and would get some water runn of from the neighbors house

I did a lasagna garden in back yard the 2nd year here and it did good untill winter when the winds blew the layered materials off the soil.. I've lost lots of mulching material due to the wind.. I' have green manures seed but dont know how to use them best..

I was glad to see your post here and it looks like its been a while since you posted to this thread .. I'm curious how things have come along for you.
happy gardening
Debra

Hi there! I think hugelculture is an interesting concept. If you plot is concave, it might be something that works well for you. It is however, pretty hard work from what I see. If you are young and energetic - I would give it a try! I'm old and decrepit so I won't be trying it anytime soon.
I have raised beds which have worked very well for us. They are all fenced in to keep chickens and the deer out.
Each year we rake up leaves, chicken poop/straw and layer it on the beds and throw a covering of dirt over it. By spring the bed is refreshed and ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom