Permanently Isolating Bullied Hen

I feel for you and the hen. I have the sweetest EE and she was picked on by all the flock but 2 ISA's were literally going out of their way to chase her, jump on her and peck her brutally. Those 2 gals were moved to their own little coop and run. Now my EE has joined the rest of the flock. She's still down in the pecking order but the over all dynamic of flock has changed dramatically without the ISAs. For their part they are very satisfied being in their own coop. Just as spoiled as the big coop.

I have one in my flock that is similar. She hasn't been hurt but she gets picked on. I think it's because she is so submissive she acts almost fearful. She seems perfectly happy but sometimes she gets herself stuck in a corner and her weird behavior triggers the other chickens to peck. Makes sense if you consider that in the wild she would endanger the flock with her antics.

I think it would be unfair to your hen to isolate her permanently. Chickens are flock animals. Have you tried separating her from the flock with a buddy?
I also have really similar situation with one of my hens. I'll watch this thread and see if I can also get some advice.
I’m not sure if I can find another hen to put with her because it needs to be a new addition and not sure if the new one won’t start bullying her, too. It makes me sad but I just don’t want her harmed again.

This sounds very similar to my situation and I also wondered if a buddy would be good for her. She’s little. Would a bantam be better or an older chick who no longer needs to be warmed?
I'd start with a submissive bird from your current flock. Someone else who is near the bottom of the pecking order who doesn't show as much aggression towards her. That way if it doesn't work you can just add it back to your flock.

Last edited:
I do have a Leghorn female who is pretty peaceful and she’s currently getting roughed up little too much by the younger rooster. I guess that’s a possibility.

To the op. It sounds like she was brought into the flock by herself?

Incorporating one or a few into an established flock can be bad for the new arrivals. Outnumbered and chickens are mean. My suggestion would be take the top bullies out and isolate them even with the roos. Depending on how many birds you have this should lessen the picking she receives. Evening the odds.
You'll have to watch how their social dynamics change. Sometimes the low bird will advance up the flock a notch or two essentially making them a part of the flock. Later when you reintroduce the bullies they will be too busy trying to reestablish themselves to worry about the newby and hopefully the newby will hold its new position above a couple of the former flock.

To the op. It sounds like she was brought into the flock by herself?

Incorporating one or a few into an established flock can be bad for the new arrivals. Outnumbered and chickens are mean. My suggestion would be take the top bullies out and isolate them even with the roos. Depending on how many birds you have this should lessen the picking she receives. Evening the odds.
You'll have to watch how their social dynamics change. Sometimes the low bird will advance up the flock a notch or two essentially making them a part of the flock. Later when you reintroduce the bullies they will be too busy trying to reestablish themselves to worry about the newby and hopefully the newby will hold its new position above a couple of the former flock.
Hi, it’s a small flock. There is another white Leghorn that does not attack her that I might separate with her. She’s also white. The bullies are all Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom