Permethrin Spray for Scaly Leg Mites?

How did you apply and what formulation of Ivermectin did you use?
Curious too about how old was bird and how bad was infestation?
I used Pour On Ivermectin for Cattle. I administered it directly to his skin at the base of his neck-similar to how you would give Frontline to a dog. I used a 1mL syringe (without the needle) I brought home from work and administered .5mL

This was a 12-18 month old salmon favorelles. He didn't have a terrible case of it but he had open sores and some slight raising of the scales.

Ivermectin is fast and easy, and works very well for this.
I recently treated a rooster with Baytril injections for bite wound infection, knowing that he's never going to lay an egg, and won't leave my farm, or be served for dinner.
Sometimes it makes sense to me to do what's best medically, even if it's not 'kosher'.
Mary
I treated my hens 2 x with IVM. The last treatment was a couple of weeks ago. I still can't tell if it has helped. How do you know?

I treated my hens 2 x with IVM. The last treatment was a couple of weeks ago. I still can't tell if it has helped. How do you know?
I dip my chickens legs and feet in oil every other day after treating them ,the coop & nest boxes with permethrin & psp a week apart ( white washed the coop too!) They'll get their #4th dose of Ivermectin next week. I culled the rooster that gave it to them, he was losing a lot of weight(skin and bones)I'm trying to gather materials for another coop or chicken tractor so I can leave the coop empty 9 months.

They can go dormant and come back when the flocks under stress. They're very hard to detect until its too late and very difficult to get rid of.Theres a lot more to it than oiling their legs.Mine didn't improve until I started them on Ivermectin.

I dip my chickens legs and feet in oil every other day after treating them ,the coop & nest boxes with permethrin & psp a week apart ( white washed the coop too!) They'll get their #4th dose of Ivermectin next week. I culled the rooster that gave it to them, he was losing a lot of weight(skin and bones)I'm trying to gather materials for another coop or chicken tractor so I can leave the coop empty 9 months.
Wow, that seems like an awful lot of work. I don't have an option to use a different coop. I took one hen into the vet today for an eye issue. He said that the IVM should work. But, it would take a long time for the legs to heal up. I bought 6 hens 2 months ago and 4 had the SLM. I am a first time chicken owner so I didn't know they had it until someone pointed it out after the fact. Ugh, now I have to deal with this.

Wow, that seems like an awful lot of work. I don't have an option to use a different coop. I took one hen into the vet today for an eye issue. He said that the IVM should work. But, it would take a long time for the legs to heal up. I bought 6 hens 2 months ago and 4 had the SLM. I am a first time chicken owner so I didn't know they had it until someone pointed it out after the fact. Ugh, now I have to deal with this.
Cleaning the coop & spraying it didn't help until the chickens got Ivermectin in their bloodstream I've kept dipping oil on their legs and feet to lesson the itching & hopefully smother some of them.I don't have the patience to soak them anymore.I'm burnt out .

Please do your own research so you'll know whats best for your flock ! Ivermectin is recommended for the treatment of scaly mite infestations which isn't the same as one or two birds getting it.

Cleaning the coop & spraying it didn't help until the chickens got Ivermectin in their bloodstream I've kept dipping oil on their legs and feet to lesson the itching & hopefully smother some of them.I don't have the patience to soak them anymore.I'm burnt out .
I have just started and am already stressed.

Back
Top Bottom