Permethrin spray

Another follow up on the mite story; last evening NO MITES seen on my roosting birds! The sample examined were all clean. Love that spray! Mary

So you didn't drench them? You just lightly sprayed them and it worked? I have used the mix as a spray for the coop and mopped the floor with it, but never sprayed the birds. They will be getting sprayed tonight if that is all you did.

The directions call for 1/2 ounce (15 ml.) per bird. There's no way each bird got that much spray! I did use a stronger mix than recommended (16 ml) per half gallon water, rather than the 10 ml on the label. Poor math skills late at night. Each bird got a spritz on top on the roost, and then the roosts got sprayed, so the birds got more spray from underneath. Nobody moved, no muss, no fuss, all done in about ten minutes, including spraying the walls and bedding. Sixty-two birds, and a 16' x'24' coop. So far, too good to be true! Mary

Last edited:
Further update; still no mites observed!
wee.gif
Mary

The directions call for 1/2 ounce (15 ml.) per bird.  There's no way each bird got that much spray!  I did use a stronger mix than recommended (16 ml) per half gallon water, rather than the 10 ml on the label.  Poor math skills late at night.  Each bird got a spritz on top on the roost, and then the roosts got sprayed, so the birds got more spray from underneath.  Nobody moved, no muss, no fuss,  all done in about ten minutes, including spraying the walls and bedding.  Sixty-two birds, and a 16' x'24' coop.  So far, too good to be true!  Mary

I also wanted to thank you for sharing this info! We used this on nearly 80 birds (both bantam and standards). It was very easy with the sprayer to get the liquid to skin level under the vent and of course the quick spritz to the back. Our birds weren't bothered by the process either! We also removed all bedding from coops, and sprayed in corners, floors, roosts and inside nest boxes. I put down fresh bedding and added a light spray to the top as well. We were targeting Northern Fowl Mites. All birds tolerated the permethrin without any issues including two 2 day old chicks under a broody hen that was treated and several juvenile bantams. From what I can find online, it appears that the 10% permethrin spray has a 30 day residual effect which is fantastic! Here is a label pic of the Bayer version of the concentrate (same active ingredient as the Gordon's brand that I got from TSC) that states a 30 day residual for the insects and mites indicated:

Sorry it's not the best pic so here is the link to the page that has a link to view the label also:
http://www.bayerlivestock.com/show.aspx/permectrin-ii

Wow, this is great - I was going to buy some spinosad spray (Elector PSP), but it was so expensive + shipping on top of the price... so tonight I went to TSC and bought some of this Gordon's Permethrin 10.....

I don't think I have a serious bug issue, I'd just like to treat for the winter... I just have a few birds right now.

It's really nice to hear y'all say its easy on chicks too. I have a few coming in the morning and I'd hate for anything to happen to them.

Wow, this is great - I was going to buy some spinosad spray (Elector PSP), but it was so expensive + shipping on top of the price... so tonight I went to TSC and bought some of this Gordon's Permethrin 10.....

I don't think I have a serious bug issue, I'd just like to treat for the winter... I just have a few birds right now.

It's really nice to hear y'all say its easy on chicks too. I have a few coming in the morning and I'd hate for anything to happen to them.
If you don't actually have bugs, it's best not to treat.
Not a bad idea to have treatment on hand tho....in case you do find bugs.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom