perogies

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by arabianequine, Nov 13, 2010.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Share your recipes please. I hear they are so good. I want to learn how to make them.

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    1. Go to the grocery store

2. Look for Mrs. T brand in the frozen food section

3. Eat

For store bought pierogi, those are excellent.

In Michigan, we have no shortage of pierogi in stores so I never really need to make any. The stores here also carry Kowalski and my dad buys Markewicz pierogi and kielbasa in bulk for Xmas dinner and we take home a lot of leftovers.

Actually, I've never had homemade pierogi. My Polish grandmother always relied on the Polish markets.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You need to find Millies pierogis... they taste the closest to homemade.
    Not sure if you have them in your area... they're big around here.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Yep....put a little olive oil in the pan, fry, flip, fry some more til nice and brown. Pat on paper towels. Put dollop of sour cream on your plate, and eat......yummmmmmmmmm.

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:You should probably spell it correctly: pierogi

Sorry to correct you, but it'll make searching easier if it's spelled correctly. And I'm a foreign language teacher, it's second nature to correct spelling and grammar of other languages.

BTW, Martha Stewart is a Polish-American. Her maiden name is something like Kostyra or Kowalczyk

7. firedancer57

firedancer57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Lurking in the corner
    Hello,
    A very simple pirogi recipe.
    2 Cups Flour
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 Lg. Egg
    1/2 Cup Sour Cream
    1/4 Cup real butter softened.
    Mix all together, wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate a couple hours.

For potato and cheese filling
    While waiting whip up some home mashed potatoes,cool, and mix in ricotta cheese or dry cottage cheese and just a little bit of cheddar.

For meat and kraut filling.
    Skinned sausage, Polish,Italian,Breakfast whatever you like really,just cook until done,let cool and mix in a little drained kraut.

Desert type
    Apple, cherry,apricot,and canned plums work well. Plums were traditional at Gramma's house.

Start water to boil.

After dough has chilled,roll out on floured table, cut dough with a large mouthed glass that has been dipped in flour also.
    cut out as many as you can, re roll and use as much as possible, save smaller scraps of dough for fried cookies.(yummmy)
    Fill the dough with choice of filling, pocket dough into pirogi.. crimp edges with fork dipped in flour.
    Boiling water bath until they float, dry on tea towel,
    get skillet hot,melt real butter and fry pirogi until nicely browned and crispy.
    Serve with sour cream or apple sauce enjoy!

Take the left over dough, roll out if enough, cut into diamond shape, slit the center
    pull corner into the slit, fry in oil until they float, sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon or powdered sugar.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Yes it was thank you so much!

9. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

I make my own pierogi's. [​IMG] If I had to eat Mrs. T's [​IMG] from the store's, I would give up eating them. I only do this once or twice annually, as I will make 300-400 hundred @ a batch. [​IMG] [​IMG] This takes me as long as three days. I live alone, & making them in quantity is quite a chore. [​IMG] When I do make them, my kids come stampeding clear across the state. I shocked them the last time-we had them while we camped out for several days-I had kept a large quantity in the freezer until chow time. [​IMG] [​IMG] Yes, they can/do freeze well. Mrs. T's?? No taste, no heart, no imagination, no cook(s) [​IMG] Just a commercially made, bland item. [​IMG]

10. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    I don't make them very often because they are time consuming. I have eaten the store-bought ones and they are so-so. My favorite filling is cottage cheese which you can't get in store bought ones. I use dry curd cottage cheese, add salt, pepper to taste and a raw egg. They are divine. [​IMG] I have also made perogies with saskatoons or blueberries. Those we eat with whipped cream or ice cream.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by