Perosis

I quoted myself from another thread to get all the info over.
She is quite the escape artist. (In part how she got her name.) I have her hobbled again with the vet wrap. I feel like if I could get her leg to stay back, even if it were stiff it would be a more functioning leg.
How has it been going with your bird?
It's a tough thing to deal with. Sorry about your hen. I've not tried it with a grown bird. My boy is still growing, and the more he grows the better his leg looks.

It's a tough thing to deal with. Sorry about your hen. I've not tried it with a grown bird. My boy is still growing, and the more he grows the better his leg looks.
I posted quickly and didn’t give a full back story. She’s not even 1 yet. A big girl at 5+ lbs and yes not really growing persay but I hate to give up on her.
I found this at the link you posted—
Foam Leg Brace
  • CAUTION: I recommend using a foam leg brace only if a chicken is old enough that it no longer has a chance of learning correct movement and you are just trying to provide comfort and mobility.
    • A chicken will become dependent on this brace, and its legs will become increasingly deformed the longer it wears one.
  • It is put on upper thighs and keeps upper legs separated to help the bird maintain useful position and balance.
  • The chicken needs to also be wearing Leg Hobbles (and Hock Cushion, if needed).
  • It is made from cut-out piece of large square piece of foam cushion sold at fabric store as a pad/cushion for furniture (~$7), wrapped with sports tape (sold in pharmacy section of stores) close to the ends. Trim off any part of the back of the brace that gets poop dropped on it.

I wonder if it would be helpful to either of our birds in short doses. It says they can become dependent on it but at this point for me at least I think it’s worth a try.

Anyone know if this could be perosis? Injured keet just over 2 weeks old. Its “knee” appears to be double the size. Not putting weight on it at all. Definitely in pain but Is eating and drinking. ETA: photo was taken last night. the swelling has gone down a bit today

Attachments

• 151AE847-346E-4136-ABEA-DF7585AF0E75.jpeg
    151AE847-346E-4136-ABEA-DF7585AF0E75.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 6
Anyone know if this could be perosis? Injured keet just over 2 weeks old. Its “knee” appears to be double the size. Not putting weight on it at all. Definitely in pain but Is eating and drinking. ETA: photo was taken last night. the swelling has gone down a bit today

That is a lot more swelling and bruising than what I normally see but that could be attributed to injury. We normally tape the tendon back into position while the leg is stretched outright and then tape the bird to a flat cardboard or contain it in a small box so it does not draw the leg back up and pop the tendon back out of place. We catch our very young and it only takes a day or so to make right but if your is older then it is probably because of too high of protein or it is an injury and may take a bit more time.
IMG_7988.JPG
IMG_7991.JPG

What are you feeding it? @R2elk, do guinea fowl need a lot of niacin like poults and ducklings?

What are you feeding it? @R2elk, do guinea fowl need a lot of niacin like poults and ducklings?
Guinea keets just like turkey poults need the higher levels of lysine, methionine, niacin and protein for proper development. Guineas tend to have very fragile legs too. Even when being fed a proper diet they can easily develop leg issues which is why people are often warned to not grab their guineas by their legs.

It can be helpful to provide keets with vitamin B complex in their drinking water. This will help meet their requirements for higher levels of niacin and thiamine.

Back
Top Bottom