Persimmons and Owls

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
We have about 100 fruit bearing persimmon trees scattered around. My kids and I went out just before dark and collected a about a gallon of ripe fruit. We had serious competition from dogs that eat the fruit without chewing. We brought the fruit back and dispenced them out so each bird got at least four. They readily consume the fruit even when crops are topped off with forage and flock raiser. They know how to really pack things in. As we came back from picking up the last fruit we could see, the chickens started to cackle like they could see an owl and dogs ran back to pens. I could see owl on roost it typcially uses. Chickens not already on roost moved to more protect locations under things. Dogs began checking for those dislocated birds as we policed them up and put them into their approapriate pens. Some of the birds wnet into pens that were not their own causing production of aggression and fear within each of those pens. Dogs parked below each of those pens holding point as we approached. We fixed that issue before kids tried to run off owl which moved off as kids got close. Some of the chickens bailed a good 6 feet from a roost site without even opening their wings and then they tried to hide under things. Kids are reason we are doing the extra steps so they can see how everybody reacts. Not many kids get to chase owls on such a regular basis. Not many owls have to watch such obnoxious kids come running and screaming.

At least two dogs are be going potty real soon. I can hear their tummies rumbling. Those fruit most have a laxative in them that works real fast.

It's pretty cool to see an owl. Your kids must enjoy that. Owls are making a comeback here. I've been lucky to see a few.

They love it. They have been up close to owls caught in live traps. Seen one fly around in house that dog brought in. My son has helped be extricate a Coopers Hawk from deer netting. My daughter loves doing the the same with the big Black Rat Snakes. They are breeding mice, fish and praying mantises. We have half dozen female mantids they kids feed daily. We make certain they are properly mated and oothecas are collected and placed in the freezer. The kids know how to exploit pheromones to attract more male mantids. Not many kids get to swim up to a daddy bass and collect eggs and larvae using a turkey baster.

Sounds like a wonderful way to grow up. :)
They got it good in some ways, but their mother is very sick. They are having to grow up way to fast. Tomorrow they will get up with me at 3:30 AM, take care of birds and dogs, then roll out to prepare for a farmers market which we will do through noon. Too make things fun, we take back roads to fish farm and count critters we see along the road. That is a surprising motivator. They will be whooped by midday tomorrow. Hopefully no farmers will ask us out to help with fish or bees problems to extend day. That is part of how they get to see so many new things.

Farmers market is very much work. We process fish for a good three hours at least for the bigger local market. Soon we will be hitting even larger markets in St. Louis, MO where we expect to double sales volume and drive an additional 1.5 hours each way. We may even peddle poultry products.

Talking to people takes a lot of energy. Kids seem to like that part most.

My parents made us gut and clean buckets of smelt when we were younger. Pulling out fish guts builds character, and a respect for your food.

Tired kids are happy kids.

We are doing trout, bass and crappie and will add bluegill and grass carp to that list soon. Offal we use during winter as a protein supplement for chickens; dogs partial to it as well. For fun we have been doing silversides that are similar in appearance to smelt. Difference there is the fish are prepared intact, guts and all. The taste for me is not inferior to smelt. The processing also make you plan ahead on what close to wear. We set up two sets of close just before going to bed.

The kid are happy, but mostly too young to understand fully what is going on.

I am done for night. Owl already run off by dogs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom