Persistent Broody Hen

jamesdeanreeves

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
Howdy, all!

I am almost ready to send this hen to the stew pot! However I feel the need to ask for any advice before I do that.

She has already gone broody on me 3 times this year - 2 yr old Speckled Sussix. I have read about everything I could find regarding how to prevent broodiness, break it, etc, and she still wants to brood. I do not leave the eggs in the nest, close the nest off at night, have put her in "Brooders Jail" several times for 3-day stretch then take her out - if she stays with the flock, then cool, if not, back to jail. Ice packs, etc. I have even tried the water-dunk several times - nothing!

I am not sure if there's something else I am doing that's triggering it. I'm pretty sure that she's triggered other hens to start brooding - 3 others about 2 months ago, then another one this week when she went broody for the third time.

She is one of the most vocal hens I have ever seen - constantly strutting around all fluffed up when I come around, but settles down when I'm not near. I don't think she's the top of the pecking order, and I have no rooster.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I would greatly appreciate it!

Can you post a picture of your nest boxes? Maybe something about them is triggering her to be broody. I hung curtains over my nest boxes once, which caused one of my hen to go broody.

How close to southern Oregon are you??? I’ll swap you a laying pullet (sapphire gem or dominant copper) for a broody Sussex.

Can you post a picture of your nest boxes? Maybe something about them is triggering her to be broody. I hung curtains over my nest boxes once, which caused one of my hen to go broody.

No curtains, but it is somewhat dark, which I understood that is kinda what's needed. I do have a light in there, but it's not on - maybe I should have it on through the day?

-J

Attachments

• 20200824_104336.jpg
    20200824_104336.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200824_104358.jpg
    20200824_104358.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 20
Had a house in Arlington once. Nice and soggy in winter.... but fairly pleasant as long as I didn’t have to travel south.

No curtains, but it is somewhat dark, which I understood that is kinda what's needed. I do have a light in there, but it's not on - maybe I should have it on through the day?

-J

If the nest is very dark and secluded, then that might trigger her. You could try putting the light on during the day and see if that helps.

When you're breaking a broody, it usually always takes longer than 3 days.

Patience is the key.

Can you post a photo of your broody jail setup?
Sure! And that's the "perp" in there now! Large dog cage, suspended about 4 foot off the floor in the extended run - lots of air flowing under her. Even read about putting a fan blowing up on her undersides - didn't work for me.

-J

Attachments

• 20200824_172358.jpg
    20200824_172358.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom