Persistently broody hen!

9reasons

Chirping
Oct 29, 2022
My Orpington has now been broody for 24 days. I have heard that the broody period can persist for up to 6 weeks! I have been getting her out of the nest box in the morning and locking her out of the roost and then she pretty much does what the other two do but she’s eating a little less than normal. My other two are not quite laying yet, so it’s not too bad closing the roost. I bought a dog crate today and put her in it for a little while, but she tried to get out and spilled her food and water. I was going to bring her into the house to have her on the cold tiles overnight, but she was so anxious. I just felt sorry for her and let her go back with the other two to sleep. I have read so many different, conflicting opinions and advice about how to deal with a broody hen. I’m not worried about the eggs. I just want her to be okay, and if I just let her sit it out and do what I can with her as long as she’s eating, will she come good eventually? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Thanks.

I bought a dog crate today and put her in it for a little while, but she tried to get out and spilled her food and water.
You need to secure the food and water.
broody breaker.jpg

And toss a piece of wood on the bottom of the wire crate for her to sit on.
I just felt sorry for her
Why? Because she wants back on her infertile nest where she is utterly wasting her time and body condition?
You need to lock her in the crate for three days and 2 nights and don't let her out at all during this time period. About 1 hour before roost time on the third day, let her out and see if she roosts on her own or heads back to the nest box.
If she roosts, great.
If she goes back to the nest box, toss her back in the crate and try again the next evening and continue to repeat until she roosts.
You are trying to reset her hormones. Anyone that tells you to just wait her out and she'll give up after so long hasn't broken many broodies or just doesn't really think about what is going on with her. I've broken more broodies than I ever thought I'd have to and the open wire crate is the absolute BEST tool to do it with.

You need to secure the food and water.
View attachment 3411562
And toss a piece of wood on the bottom of the wire crate for her to sit on.

Why? Because she wants back on her infertile nest where she is utterly wasting her time and body condition?
You need to lock her in the crate for three days and 2 nights and don't let her out at all during this time period. About 1 hour before roost time on the third day, let her out and see if she roosts on her own or heads back to the nest box.
If she roosts, great.
If she goes back to the nest box, toss her back in the crate and try again the next evening and continue to repeat until she roosts.
You are trying to reset her hormones. Anyone that tells you to just wait her out and she'll give up after so long hasn't broken many broodies or just doesn't really think about what is going on with her. I've broken more broodies than I ever thought I'd have to and the open wire crate is the absolute BEST tool to do it with.
One of the problems is the dog crate is not snake proof so I will have to bring it in the cottage at night and then put it back out during the day. Is this what others do?

My run is snake proof so I don't have to worry about it. That is where I break broodies.
You will have to move her to a secure area each night.
I would also start working on making their enclosure predator proof.
Their coop and run is snake proof just not the new dog crate. The set up I have is not big enough to put the dog crate into.

I bought a dog crate today and put her in it for a little while, but she tried to get out and spilled her food and water...she was so anxious...
Yes, that is a normal reaction for a hen in a wire crate to break broodiness.
Unfortunately, there is no good way to break her broodiness without making her unhappy.

I have read so many different, conflicting opinions and advice about how to deal with a broody hen. I’m not worried about the eggs. I just want her to be okay, and if I just let her sit it out and do what I can with her as long as she’s eating, will she come good eventually?
There are conflicting accounts because some chickens behave differently than others, and because some people do things differently.

Many hens will eventually quit being broody, if you just let them sit it out. But some hens will not eat enough, and will actually die. There is no reliable way to tell which hens will stop in time and which will not.

A few times I have accidentally broken a broody hen by moving her to a nest in a different pen. If she refuses to sit on the new nest, she will pace back and forth all day every day (just like in your wire crate), and a few days of that is enough to break broodiness. She doesn't like it any more than yours liked the crate. But for some other hens, if I move them to a nest in a different pen, they just sit contentedly on the new nest-- another example of not all hens acting the same.

Back
Top Bottom