Personality vs. Egg Production

Thanks brookwoodpat - it's good to hear what everyone thinks of their clucks. Are the campines friendly or kind of shy?

Phoenix roosters - thanks for the info on the red stars - are yours friendly?

Rodriguezpoultry - you crack me up - not sure what you really mean by "I went and got a young RIR pullet," but in my mind I have an image of you typing with a RIR pullet on your lap (and with your book open next to you!).

If ONLY I could be back home right now to put her on my lap! lol! They DID just make a new ordinance stating that you can own 4 chickens (no roosters) within city limits...hehehehehe....

We've got a BSL, RIR, and a BR. The BR isn't laying right now, but when she was, we got daily eggs that were quite large (56+ grams).

The BSL is by far our fav. She's sweet, inquisitive, and very friendly. Gwen likes to be held and will hop up to get picked up. She coos all the time and is very quiet. She lays about 5 days on, 1 off. Her pinkish-brown eggs are 51-56 grams.

The RIR isn't nearly as friendly but is giving Gwen a run for her egg-laying money. Nugget lays bigger eggs - 54-58 grams - and lays 7 days on, 1 off. Her eggs are dark brown. Since she started laying, she has gotten friendlier, but still isn't a "hold me" kind of bird. Nugget braaaaaawks all the time.

The BR is friendly but stopped laying for some unknown reason. Not in a molt. I'm hoping she's not an internal layer.

Quote:
Austrolorps are great layers and very sweet from what I hear, you would have one a day from her. We have a Barred Rock that lays one a day (the charts say 4 a week, I don't know how acurate they are because both our Barred Rock and Buckeye should lay 4 a week but they both lay daily.) They are both very sweet birds and now even sweeter that they are laying. Black Stars are the same as sexlinks. I would suggest you get one instead of a RIR just because you would be garunteed a girl. I don't know how much Ophingtons are suppossed to lay but I have heard that they are very sweet. Although, in my opinion, I doesn't matter what breed you have, it is how much handling they get as babies. Handle them every day for sure. If you get them as day olds, they look at you as a mama. I purr at mine and played with them all the time as babies, so they are very bonded to me.

Back
Top Bottom