Pest control pup in training...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lil'turkeymama, Sep 7, 2010.

1. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    We decided to get a pup to train and raise with our chickens and turkeys to help with the varmits that have been catching them alot this year.I picked the heeler breed for it ease of training and loyality.I have had and trained many dogs over the years.I do have a pitbull mix thats my house dog that will catch rats but will not kill them.I have tried and tried to get her to kill them but she treats them like her babies.she will catch one,bring it in the house,go to her crate with and let it crawl around her.If it trys to get away she gets it and brings it back.I have to take it away and kill it and then shes like "why did you kill it?".She will do the same thing with baby chickens if I let her.I will let her smell them and then make her leave them alone.she even goes to the incubator when eggs are hatching,watches it for awhile and then comes to me like to let know theres babies in there.So the plan is to teach this pup to kill the rats or whatever is messing with the birds.I got him when he was 6 weeks old.He's 11 weeks old now.I spent the first few weeks getting him used to the place ,teaching him basic commands and showing him the boundries he is allowed to go to.So far so good with my training.I let him "help" with cleaning out the trap I've got.I first shot the rats with a pellet gun and them took them out.I took one and played with him for a little while and he is a natural hunter.He knew to get the rat and give it heck.(I took it away from him and didn't let him eat it.Part of his training,if I want whatever he has he must give it to me.)I am hoping he can learn to catch them by his self.I named him Spike and he is a real sweetheart.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Cute pup! Sounds like he is doing really good with training. Cant wait to see him all grown up. Keep us updated on his progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by