Pests in Feeder

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hello everyone! I currently have this feeder:

1660743128584.png

The problem is, I think chipmunks are getting into it. There is a TON of waste all over the ground every day. I really like this feeder a lot, but can anyone think of any way to keep pests out? So much food is going to waste every single day and I cannot afford to keep feeding the wildlife!

Some folks get by with a Grandpa Xi feeder (all are made in China) but they are not rat proof. There are tons of complaints that rats, mice, even tiny ground squirrels can push the lid open. Go look at their negative reviews on Amazon and the other independent review sites, there will be videos with the complaints.

To stop rodents you have to have a spring loaded door or the critters will simply push the lid up or the door in if they are one of the inward swinging doors (rare). And you need the treadle step pushed back further than the critter can reach so those wide treadle steps sure look easier for a chicken to use but are also a bad idea. Weight AND reach differences between the chicken and the vermin is needed and the spring loaded door which we are the only manufacturer delivering that feature.

Do your research off Amazon and avoid any reviewers that have Amazon links as those are almost always commission links that earn them a fee for recommending the product. Look for something like chickenfeederreview or one of the independent bloggers/customers that isn't linked directly to Amazon or the manufacturers website and is also recommending the product. We started a commission sales feature but only for the few dealers that stock our product and there are not many due to the small wholesale discount we offer. The average reseller thinks they should be able to double the price, maybe for Chinese made feeders like the Grandpa feeder but a U.S. made feeder simply cannot do that without overcharging their direct customers.

Back
Top Bottom