Pests in the feed bag. Help plz

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Henman, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Henman

Henman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Fouke, Arkansas
    Can some one please help with this. I'm on the side of the road trying to find out what the heck is this bug I just found In my feed bag. I don't want to take it home. Fraud of infestation problem. Brand new sack of omega laying pellets. . There are a lot of them running every where.
    [​IMG]

2. Nagi

Nagi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    So Cal
  3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    That a weevil, take the feed back, while it will not hurt your birds it is a sign that the feed is getting old, I have never ever found them in fresh feed, that organic feed problem takes a while to sell and sits in a warehouse somewhere.

you can put bay leaves in feed that takes you a while to use, that will keep weevils out or at least it worked here.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  4. Henman

Henman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Fouke, Arkansas
    Thank you got the info. That's a big help

5. MnMPoultry

MnMPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Paragon, IN
    I just got 3 bags of cracked corn full of them and didn't realize until I mixed it all with the bags of meatbird crumbles. Store replaced the feed, and only had me bring a bit of product and all emtpy bags back to send to the manufacturer for analysis and such.

On that note, the birds eat the bugs before the food. The bugs being there doesn't mean it's old. The bugs can come from a storage warehouse, other bags next to the pallet in the store, etc.

I believe they are called saw toothed grain beetles. Weevils are a completely different insect.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I have never gotten feed with bugs in it but if I did I would return it. While it's true that the birds will happily eat the bugs that is not what I am paying for! The bugs also eat the feed leaving behind a lot of fine dust and their own droppings, again, not what I'm paying $$ for at the feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by