Pet Chickies!!

redannie87

In the Brooder
May 13, 2018
Hey everyone! My name is Annie and I live in small town in TN. Every since I was little, I had a dream of owning a farm! Well, fast forward to now and I am finally..at 30 yrs of age..starting my own mini farm on about 5 acres of land. We have recently added 5 chicks to our farm family! Everyone in my family picked out a chick they liked...so we have 1) delaware 2) crested special 3) 2 ameracaunas 4) buff Orpington. We got them as day old chicks..5 weeks old now.(all sexed...supposedly...and all ladies) but I am definently having my doubts about the delaware!! Lol!! I will be posting some questions about that soon in another forum!! I have been coming here to backyard chickens for many months doing research, stalking, etc. So, just wanted to say HI to everyone and that I'm excited to be a member!!

What makes you think the Delaware might be a cockerel? Does it have saddle feathers and hackle feathers? Is it crowing? btw, your "Ameraucanas" are most likely Easter Eggers unless you bought them from a breeder and they told you the specific variety. There are currently 8 recognized varieties of Ameraucana - Buff, Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, White, Silver, Brown Red, and Wheaten. Self Blue is currently in the process of being accepted as a variety by the APA.

Delawares get large, mine is my largest chicken, and the girls get big red combs. You can sex them by their tail feathers. If it's a male, the tail feathers will be barred (black and white striped). If it's a female, the tail feathers will be just about solid black with just some white (lacing) around the edge like an outline.

I found this photo on the internet where you can see the difference.
DelPr2.JPEG

Hey everyone! My name is Annie and I live in small town in TN. Every since I was little, I had a dream of owning a farm! Well, fast forward to now and I am finally..at 30 yrs of age..starting my own mini farm on about 5 acres of land. We have recently added 5 chicks to our farm family! Everyone in my family picked out a chick they liked...so we have 1) delaware 2) crested special 3) 2 ameracaunas 4) buff Orpington. We got them as day old chicks..5 weeks old now.(all sexed...supposedly...and all ladies) but I am definently having my doubts about the delaware!! Lol!! I will be posting some questions about that soon in another forum!! I have been coming here to backyard chickens for many months doing research, stalking, etc. So, just wanted to say HI to everyone and that I'm excited to be a member!!
:welcome

G'Day 6.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Back
Top Bottom