Pet dog chasing chickens

This is one method that I absolutely would not employ. This leaves the dog alone with the chickens, even though in a fenced environment. He learns that he can bark, lunge, and engage in other aggressive behaviors to get the chickens to cluck, scream, flap their wings, and otherwise react in ways that are stimulating for him. All this while he receives no correction from his owner for that destructive behavior.

I would put him on leash, and take him with me to do chicken chores. make him lie down. give verbal praise when he avoids looking at chickens, or remains calm in their presence. My dog has high prey drive. I tried this technique for the better part of a summer. It works for a lot of people. In her case, I had to resort to a behavior modification collar on vibrate mode. 2 collar reprimands were all that were necessary.

The last time I mentioned employing such a collar on BYC, I was called all sorts of names for being so "abusive". Is it more abusive to have a dog who can be trusted around birds, or have a killer dog???

Lazy gardener's experience mirrors my own. I was very embarrassed that I couldn't train our cattle dog mix, after being a training guru with our previous dog. It took 2 good shocks to train her not to chase chickens. After those 2 shocks, I set the collar on vibrate & used the vibrate mode anytime she appeared to show interest in the chickens. I only had to do that a few times. Soon after, I returned the collar to the person I borrowed it from. It's been over 1 year & all is well. In fact when I recently got new chicks, I was concerned that she may not remember that these little things are chickens & can't be chased. No problem!
image.jpg

I decided early one to let my girls free range the backyard since it was already fenced for my dogs. When I first got my chickens I took the time to train my current 2 dogs (one a English Bulldog the other a Australian Shepard Mix). For the first 2 weeks if the chickens were out I took the dogs out the front but I always made sure the allow several hours in the morning and evening when the chickens were locked in the run to allow the dogs out to get to know them. For the next 2 weeks I would allow the girls out and took the dogs out on leashes, this allowed me some level of control if they got aggressive. After that month they just started hanging out in harmony. Have even had the chickens come up and lay down beside the dogs and even give an occasional peck. Patients and consistent training is the key.

20180520_182936.jpg

Absolutely no need to get rid of your dog. First rule is that dogs should never be left alone with fowl or small children. Two basic commands: 'Come' - for the safety of the dog and 'leave it' - for the dog's safety and the bird's safety can solve the problem. He's still a pup and wants to play. Problem is he needs to learn that your chickens are off limits. A basic obedience course would be a great idea if you can locate one. Well worth the money for someone who has never trained a dog.

Lazy gardener's experience mirrors my own. I was very embarrassed that I couldn't train our cattle dog mix, after being a training guru with our previous dog. It took 2 good shocks to train her not to chase chickens. After those 2 shocks, I set the collar on vibrate & used the vibrate mode anytime she appeared to show interest in the chickens. I only had to do that a few times. Soon after, I returned the collar to the person I borrowed it from. It's been over 1 year & all is well. In fact when I recently got new chicks, I was concerned that she may not remember that these little things are chickens & can't be chased. No problem!
View attachment 1489739
you have a beautiful dog

X2 what @sourland said. If you have never worked with a dog trainer before in any capacity, I highly recommend it. You can learn some great tools. I worked with a trainer and my aussie on some issues years ago. The tools I learned allowed me to train the dog on my own a few years later to not eat the new cat. In fact, now they are friends and the cat will rub up on the dog's face. I have also since trained the dog not to eat the chickens and to stay on our property when we moved to a new home, among other things. Good luck! You've gotten some good tips. You are headed in the right direction already.

I also highly recommend a variable setting e collar. Be cautious, though. A shock can be very counter productive if used incorrectly. Basic leash corrections have to be basically flawless before even putting on the collar. It does no good to shock a dog for not obeying a command they don't already know.
I have trained a couple gun dogs quite successfully, and I would recommend looking up a gun dog training video. Like it or not you've basically got yourself a hunting dog and all the instinct that is bred into it. A well trained bird dog is a beautiful thing.
Good luck!

Kinda related but different, some dogs respond very well to clicker training. The key is catching the dog in the act and reinforcing it. Clicker training focuses on catching the good behaviors and rewarding them. Collars focus on the negative behaviors and reprimanding them. Both require the owner to be present, vigilant, and consistent. You will find the balance of reward vs reprimand that works for your dog. Every dog is different.

Back
Top Bottom