Pet ducks released on my lake

odd definition of happy. They're vulnerable to predators, disease and dont know how to survive in the wild.
They won't last that long, it would 100% be better to catch them and find a suitable home, or at the very least to feed them and provide shelter.
They've been there for months they said. Others have posted here about ducks being on their lakes for years, so yeah happy not cooped up in a setting unfamiliar to them. Ducks are naturally pretty good foragers, and looks like these are doing just fine. Predators are a concern, sure, but that's nature's way.

They've been there for months they said. Others have posted here about ducks being on their lakes for years, so yeah happy not cooped up in a setting unfamiliar to them. Ducks are naturally pretty good foragers, and looks like these are doing just fine. Predators are a concern, sure, but that's nature's way.
"natures way" Nature has defence. Domestic ducks have nothing natural. Not even flight. We breed animals that cannot survive in the wild, and then dump them and people like you act like they'll be happier.
How happy will they be when they die off one by one? When they're suffering the same hell that wild ducks face during breeding season, with multiple drakes on one female. Is that happy?
It's a dog among wolves.
Saying that they're fine because some survive for months is rubbish. Not only do they risk damaging the natural ecosystem or potentially producing hybrids, but the chances of surviving much longer are slim. It ends in the same way, stressed and suffering ducks.

Oh and another thing, how long they manage to survive is reflective of the environment they're dumped in.

I am most certainly NOT suggesting dumping your domesticated ducks at the nearest large body of water, don't get me wrong. Just saying to let the ducks that have become accustomed to that life already continue to live that way

I am most certainly NOT suggesting dumping your domesticated ducks at the nearest large body of water, don't get me wrong. Just saying to let the ducks that have become accustomed to that life already continue to live that way
Once again . . . yes, domestics can live for years in places where they are dumped. They can live for so long that they get arthritis and cataracts. It depends on where they are dumped, the yearly temperatures, the predators around, if they are fed, etc. They do need to be fed daily decent feed, just like pet ducks need to be fed daily. They can also encounter bad issues during mating season, but it might surprise you how many females can survive those issues. Their mates can get really good at chasing off other drakes. There are more deaths and injuries during mating/nesting season than any other time of year, though, just like with the mallards. Not all domestics will have long lives. Same with the mallards. The wild life and the captive life both have plusses and minuses for domestic ducks.

Last edited:
But again, having survived months is impressive, they wont have that long left, and will suffer if they arent suffering already. If someone is willing to help them, then don't dissuade them of it. It is far better for the ducks to be rehoused somewhere safe with other ducks, in ratio, on a healthy diet.

I agree bread is bad, but I would use it if you want to trap them. I tried to help a duck with a fishing lure in his mouth. Never was able to catch him though. I brought the ducks mealworms, peas and other healthy snacks. They didn’t eat it because they had no idea what it was.
Yeah, when I read about what "snacks" are being given to ducks, I think what???? If you need to catch a non-captive duck, try whole corn, cat food or bread.

But again, having survived months is impressive, they wont have that long left, and will suffer if they arent suffering already. If someone is willing to help them, then don't dissuade them of it. It is far better for the ducks to be rehoused somewhere safe with other ducks, in ratio, on a healthy diet.
So then what would you say to the locations where domestic duck/ hybrid breed populations have lived in the wild for years? That's make believe land?
Climate/ surroundings matter quite a bit. I grew up on the Jersey shore where there's quite a large population of hybrid ducks, didn't realize what they were until recently, as a kid I just knew some of them had different colors and would never fly, but they didn't need to, so yeah they were happy. Even domestic ducks are great swimmers/ divers.
There's also a large population of hybrids down in Austin, TX on the Colorado River/ Ladybird Lake.
Maybe hybrid/ domestic flocks wouldn't be happy in your location, that's fine. They probably wouldn't be very happy in mine in upstate NY now either. That doesn't mean they can't be happy anywhere.

So then what would you say to the locations where domestic duck/ hybrid breed populations have lived in the wild for years? That's make believe land?
Climate/ surroundings matter quite a bit. I grew up on the Jersey shore where there's quite a large population of hybrid ducks, didn't realize what they were until recently, as a kid I just knew some of them had different colors and would never fly, but they didn't need to, so yeah they were happy. Even domestic ducks are great swimmers/ divers.
There's also a large population of hybrids down in Austin, TX on the Colorado River/ Ladybird Lake.
Maybe hybrid/ domestic flocks wouldn't be happy in your location, that's fine. They probably wouldn't be very happy in mine in upstate NY now either. That doesn't mean they can't be happy anywhere.
Just because they are successfully reproducing doesn’t meant they are “living in the wild for years.” Seeing domestic ducks year after year has nothing to do with how happy and safe they are in an environment. It just means that people keep dumping them and you’re seeing the ones that are recently dumped or lucky enough to have not been picked off by predators yet. If they survive long enough to breed, which could literally be a single day for males, then of course you’ll see mixed-breed babies. Again, that is not good or indicative of happiness. Domestic breeds interbreeding with wild ones is horrible for the ecosystem. Why are you arguing so hard in favor of something that is so clearly not natural and not in the animals’ best interests? I swear, the amount of dangerous misinformation being given in this post is staggering.

Back
Top Bottom