Pet turkeys

Turkey parents

Songster
5 Years
Dec 2, 2015
North New Mexico
My wife and I have two pet turkeys that we are writing a book about, I will post pictures later on (when I have good light). If anyone has any questions we have had some different experiences and can offer a different ideas some of you may know something we don't yet

Yeah! I just love birds! We have a lot of various chickens, a few ducks, guineas, and two geese. Raising chickens actually guided me toward being vegetarian (and eventually vegan!)
wee.gif
So it's a little awkward being back on this site. Anyway- I'm here today because we are adopting a 12 year old Bronze Breasted tom in just a few hours! I'm very excited to be receiving him and taking him into our homestead. If you have any basic advice for us I'd love to hear!

Hey Chick Inn! Congrats on adopting the turkey. Hop over to the "Century of Turkey Talk " thread. Most of us turkey folks hang out over there. You'll probably get more advice than you want! :lol: is this your first turkey?

Chick inn I suggest making him/her comfortable letting them stay by the fire when possible. A bird of that age is going to want to be warm even the chicks prefer to be kept around 100 degrees adults don't need it that hot in fact it can hurt them but keep your bird around 75-80 and make a decent bed for them. On cold nights my two sleep on our night stands, we fold up a couple of blankets for our night stands put Mars and Jupiter to bed and put them out in the morning. My wife usually wakes up to her 28 pound White Holland Mix Jupiter cuddling up against her Mars usually presses up against the side on my bed and rests her head on my pillow. You will find your turkey has preferred foods and won't touch others, a good example is Jupiter likes lettuce but Mars doesn't. Our two birds are our pets, so if we have much different information unless you intend on making this old bird a pet our information may not be good for you. Bottom line keep them warm find out what each individual bird likes to eat and make them comfortable

Back
Top Bottom