Peterborough, Ontario by-laws?

limabean

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Hello,

I am new to this board. I'm interested in having a couple of backyard chickens. Does anyone know what the laws are in Peterborough, Ontario?

Thanks!

Your best bet is NOT to check with the ordinances...if you can hide your birds well, and if there are only a couple, you should be fine if your neighbors never complain. Just keep them clean and odour free, and don't have any roosters:)

Oh wow, I posted this thread in 2008. Now I really am going to get chickens, and am comfortable with...well, the sheer vagueness of local laws.

Haha, hey there limabean!
smile.png
Can't wait for our chicken adventures this year!!

Hi Limabean and Desireefawn!!! Great to meet other Peterborough chicken fancier folk on here!! How did you both make out with your chicken adventure this year? Did you end up getting chickens? If so - how many do you currently have and what breeds.

Looking forward to chatting with you more.

Steve
smile.png

Well hello there!

Desiree and I picked up our chicks together back in May. I now have 5 - 4 red stars and 1 Plymouth barred rock. An additional BR died about a month and a half ago of unknown causes.
I've had no legal issues. To the best of my understanding, the laws here are vague enough that they could be argued as in favour of pet chickens.
Care of the chickens has generally been easy.
I have no regrets!
I'd love to answer more for you, from a recent newbie with a little experience to a new newbie!

hello fello chicken peps, my name is Brendan I live in bridgenorth just outside ptbo. just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some ready to lay hens. americaanus if possible. I lost mine to a fox last night major bummer, thanks

Hey Brendan: Are you on Facebook at all?? I can give you information for a friend of mine who might be selling some Ameraucana's. I will check with her first to see if she is. I can also provide you a link to a Facebook group about Backyard Chickens for Peterborough.

Let me know.

Steve

Hey Brendan - I checked with my friend - she is willing to sell you some. How many did you need? Again - if I get your Facebook info I will definitely get you in touch with her right away. if you want - we can do it through email. Give me yours and I will pass it on to her for you.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom