Pets or Produce?

Working animals. Was that an option? They make fertilizer, are excellent bug control, and dandelion eliminators (guaranteed job security). They also provide eggs and at the end of life, they become stewing hens. Roosters must take care of his flock and manage behavior well. I do raise a batch of cornish cross that are in no way pets. All creatures are treated with best care, receive safe housing, and respect.

My chickens are food. If they don't lay enough to be worth their food, they become meat. They have to be something really special to be kept if they don't lay well--like a super good broody.

Now that doesn't mean I don't treat them well, but I don't name them (other than something to identify a standout bird, like "Silver Hen" or "Crooked Toes" so that we know who we are talking about), dress them up in clothes, bring them in the house (unless I need to treat an illness or injury or it's baby chicks to play with), cook special meals for them, or put a heater in their coop. And they like it that way.
smile.png

The ducks I see as producers, eggs and meat, because at no stage other to being culled are they at the house. They chickens are both, got mainly for eggs and meat but I won't kill them just because they stop laying when they're older unless I have to.

My chickens are first and for most my pets.
Ive had chickens since i was a child and i have to say they are some of the best pets i have ever had.
Its just a plus that they lay eggs. As funny as this sounds, chickens are like my therapy animals.
Chickens are way smarter then people give them credit for.
They can comprehend many things, can be trained, and they have feelings like many other animals.
Ive had/have dogs, rabbits, lizards, snakes, many different kinds of birds (from parrots to rescued wild birds), mice, hamsters, iguana's, cats, you get the point.
Out of all those different kinds of animals i have to say that chickens have been one of my favorite pets.
They all have such interesting and funny personality's. They are pretty easy to take care of and they really bond with their owners.
Almost all of my chickens have been lap chickens, even my roosters. They would jump up in my lap and want to be cuddled.
I love how they would follow me around and fly over to greet me.

Then, i have some because i like to preserve certain breeds that are not that common anymore, like rare colored bantam polish.
Because i love that breed so much, i want to help preserve and possibly breed them.

So all in all I like chickens for:
.Pets/Therapy animals
.Eggs
.Breeding/preserving a breed

Quote:
I apologize if you know this already, but from what I have read the meaties will die a painful death if not slaughtered because their bodies are not designed to last long. (I just wanted to make sure you had heard this since you might get them.)

To the OP:
Pets and eggs!

Quote:
I apologize if you know this already, but from what I have read the meaties will die a painful death if not slaughtered because their bodies are not designed to last long. (I just wanted to make sure you had heard this since you might get them.)

As much as i wish i could say "i disagree, they will be fine"...i think ChickensAreSweet is right
hmm.png
I had a meat bird as a pet once, she ended up getting egg bound alot.
The first few times, we helped her through it, but she ended up dieing from it at a young age.
I guess meaties just aren't designed for living that long
sad.png

When I take care of them pets .Other wise eggs and meat.If I'm asked to be the on site vet or if one wants my attention ,or if I have to feed them'or pay attention to them in any way pet!lol. So if their for food my family makes me stay away from them.

We got our hens simply to introduce the kids to responsibility and all that goes into caring for animals.

As we evolve it has turned into a very scientific project with rotational grazing areas, planting forage, watching for preferences, attracting bugs, reading the birds, inputs and outputs, nutrition, and a few other things.

I wouldn't label them as pets or produce...but simply a hobby that you get a lot of satisfaction out of when they are happy and producing well.

Quote:
Mine are livestock. I eat the eggs, extra Roos and meat birds. My only pets are my Old English Bantams of which I keep just a few. For some reason, I can't bring myself to kill a little OEGB roo, I have to find them homes, which limits my hatching and breeding.
My husband, a city guy, is still adjusting to the animals as food concept. He has to stay away on processing day. He wanted to keep a Cornish X last summer until he saw one start to die of a heart attack before his eyes just because we were irrigating and she got stressed out. Now he stays away from them after the first week or two so that he doesn't get attached.
We do enjoy those baked chicken meals. Home grown, organic chicken is the best! Just had one tonight that was literally 12 pounds dressed. Must have weighed over 15 pounds before I processed him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom