Pets Rats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Fluffypuffy587, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Fluffypuffy587

Fluffypuffy587 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    I have been looking around to getting a new pet. And decided I wanted to get a rat. As Im looking for more of a companion pet.

Anyone have pictures of their rattie friends to share?

What are all the breeds of rats?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I eventually want to get a couple of rats for myself as well. They seem to make wonderful pets!

I would suggest getting more than one rat though. They are very social and like to have rattle friends in addition to human friends!

3. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    i think rats are my favorite of any of the small pocket pets i have owned (rabbits, ferrets, hamsters,mice, guinea pigs and gerbils)
    rats are much more interactive with their owners, especielly if you get well socielized babies from a breeder as oppose to jsut a pet shop.

never get a single rat, rats are extremly social, and people cannot be their with them 24/7 like they need, many people beilive that by geting one rat- itll bond better and be more freindly- with rats its actually the complete opposite! having one rat is more likly going to cause problems with nipping, shy-ness and being anti-social.
    the reason is because they are used to living in large groups, their is always someone their who has your back so to speak, they watch each other for signs of danger and feel more comfortible. and 2 really is no differant then one.

singlton rats are more likly to develop aggression later on towards people-they learn to protect and guard their cage as territory.

here are some pictures of my rat-im a new breeder working to develop a nice line of dalmatian rats and a nice line of siamese/himilyan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Fluffypuffy587

Oct 31, 2012
    Well its been in debate of what I want to get. I plan on moving in a year or 2 and want to take some sort of pet with me. I have a rabbit but she is very old. Ive had her for 7years. I just love her. She is my sweet furry friend.... I wouldnt mind getting another rabbit later on after she passes. but it depends on the space and place. So I was like hey a rat would be cool.
    I did a science project in middle school that involved some young white rats. I thought they were neat. and I have always had a love for rodents considering my first pet was a hamster when I was 3.
    I really dont know if I can have more then one. thats the problem.

I mean has anyone else had problems with them becoming mean?
    I do understand totaly about them staying in groups and relying on each other.

I looked at the pet store. The only thing that sounds interesting is a rat, a hamster or a mouse.
    The other was a bearded dragon but I dont think the fam would appriciate that lol

It does help to hear from others to see If its a good idea or not. I am certainly ok going back to the idea of getting a hamster or a mouse.
    I saw a cutey mouse at petco a few weeks ago and thought it looked like an oreo =D

6. Fluffypuffy587

Oct 31, 2012
    And I have veared completely away from getting grown up anything. Just because I bought to many birds and stuff from the pet store and they were all flighty. and just in no way could be tamed. I still love them though =D
    so baby anything is the way to go..

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Rats are the best small fury pet in my opinion - I worked in a pet shop and we kept many kinds of small animal, but it was always the rats that have the most personality. They are so clever and really interact with you and will love you.

I had 3 females as pets. They were all really friendly. I would let them run around the floor when I was on the computer - if I walked out to another room they would all follow me - they always wanted to be in the same room as me.

NO WAY GET ONLY ONE. It will be very miserable. Its also more fun to have a pair as you can see them playing together and snuggling up. They get just a friendly no matter how many you have.

If you want lazy rats that will sit on you lap or shoulder for hours and go so sleep when you are petting them - get males.

If you like more lively rats that will run about and do tricks, climb all over things and explore (but still like to be handles) then get females.

DON'T GET MICE!!!! They are very cute and make good pets, but they SMELL REALLY BAD!! Even just 2 females will start to smell the day after you clean the cage, and the males stink no matter what you do!!!!!!!

Hamsters are OK. They are cute and cuddly, and need to be kept ONLY ONE to a cage or they will fight. They are rather dumb and not really affectionate to you like a rat will be.

If you get a rat make sure you DO NOT use pine shavings as betting or any kind of dusty material. They are best kept on paper cat litter stuff, which is safe if they eat it, and also the dust will not irritate there lungs.

8. cuppycake

cuppycake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Duluth, MN
    I used to have a bunch of rats when I was in college and lived in a tiny apartment. They really do make great pets. Mine came when I called them, they'd run down the hallway and climb up my pant leg.

There's not really any such thing as "breeds" in rats, just varieties. I always had a soft spot for dumbo rats. Their ears grow lower on their head and that makes them look like they have big elephant ears. Hairless rats are neat but they are a little more sensitive and a little harder to take care of. Rex rats have wavy hair and curly whiskers.

I recommend boys. Don't get me wrong, I liked my girls, but my favorite rats over the years were always male. They are snugglier and more laid back.

try visiting http://www.afrma.org/ - The American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association for lots of helpful info and links.

I'd recommend buying rats from a breeder over a pet store. A person who breeds their rats on purpose for pet and show will have healthier and better socialized animals than the mills that supply pet stores. Not wanting to start a debate, but I don't understand why people seem to be aware of puppy mills and would NEVER buy a puppy in a pet store, but they have no problem with pet stores/mills that crank out rodents, birds, reptiles, etc.

1 person likes this.
  9. Adenium

Adenium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Connecticut
    I agree with boys being snugglier. Our first rat was an "accidental" one in high school while caring for the school python over vacation - the rat was the unwanted food.

Ratty was very much like a small dog. Came when called, snuggled in pockets, would lay on his back trance-like for belly rubs, slept under your chin, crawled up your clothes to sit on your shoulder....he was very sweet.

When we had females (two at a time) they were much less personable. They were all from petstores. The single female we had was OK, but none was like our first male. Sadly he only lived about 2.5 years. One of the females developed a large tumor as well. They aren't bred for health or longevity from a pet store.

One issue was the lack of litter training. We loved to let them run around, but we'd have to clean up the small puddles and the droppings. They also loved to snuggle into our covers and chew holes in them. Many many sheets were ruined. Overall they were great pets at the time, but as an adult it's been much easier and more rewarding to have cats!

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    My favorite of the lagomorphs/rodents that I've owned so far have been English lop rabbits, with rats as a close second. Pet rats are not separated into breeds, but rather 'varieties'. Some of these are:
    http://ratvarieties.com/
    I don't see "dalmatian" on there, and as the site mentioned, it is not a full list of all possible varieties. "Harley" rats are also not mentioned on the above list. They are still very much in development, but they should have a long, soft coat. Also not mentioned are "dwarf rats". Beware of poor temperaments being bred for. Some breeders care more about flashiness and looks than they do temperament.

That said, I strongly recommend buying rats from a breeder. A breeder who cares both about health and temperament. None of my rats have been breeder-purchased yet, but you can bet my next rat will be from a breeder who breeds away from the health issues running rampant in rats. Pet store rats are extremely prone to tumors (females) and mycoplasma, and my shelter rats and rehomes have been the same. Even when very healthy, three years is what you are often looking at in terms of rat lifespans.

If you do keep a single rat, I would only do so with a male. I have had three single males in the past, and all were perfectly content and loving rats. I will never keep a female rat singly myself, because in my experience they will self-mutilate or 'barber', show high levels of stress, and will be prone to being nippy and aggressive with people and other rats if kept this way for an extended time. Males can be extremely happy living in groups, but I have had many a friend with multiple males that grow up together happily, but one day fight (with no females present/no major changes/etc) resulting in either death or serious injury. I do think this possibility gets downplayed a lot by rat groups who will push the message that rats always must be kept in groups or pairs. The majority of males I've seen in groups/pairs do not fight, so just weigh the risks and benefits and decide what you prefer.

My favorite rat of all time was a plain brown rat from a pet store. She followed my husband and I around the house, demanded to be picked up, would hop into our laps and on and off the couch, and came when her name was called. <3

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    If you want a companion, I would go for a well socialized guinea pig or rat/s (I had a tri-roan teddy guinea pig for ten years who cuddled under my chin for as long as I'd let him. Loved that guinea pig! He was from a breeder who socialized her guinea pigs at a young age). If not those two, than a pair of gerbils. Mice are very cute, but I rarely meet one that really will fill a companionship role, and males have a strong odor. Hamsters can be great little pets, but they are solitary animals who can get stressed/nippy when not allowed their normal nocturnal schedule. Rats actually seek their owners out for attention more so than any of the commonly kept rodents I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by