Petsafe Remote Training Collars for Dogs?

FountainCityCottage

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2019
8EEA28B7-298A-4337-BFE8-73B94A32B126.jpeg
Has anyone ever utilized one of Petsafe’s remote training collars for their dogs? I’ve purchased the 100 yard remote “lite” training collar to work on a few behaviors with my small Jack Russell mix, including preventing him from chasing my hens when they’re free ranging in our yard. So far he’s only had it on for a few hours, and he, the hens and I are now all peacefully hanging out together in the backyard, something that would normally be impossible because he would be frantically chasing and terrorizing the chickens. It just took two “buzzes” (and that’s what they feel like, because I tried the collar on my own neck before I put it on my dog), and he’s now engaged in his own pursuits around the yard while ignoring the hens wandering around. If he gets too close to any of them, I give him the warning beep (no buzz), and he seems to just calmly turn and head in the opposite direction. He doesn’t seem stressed or unhappy either. I just can’t believe we’re all hanging out together in the same space without him going nuts chasing the hens. It’s amazing. Now I certainly wouldn’t leave him alone with the chickens at this point (or possibly at any point, ever), but this does seem like it’s going to be an effective tool in my overall toolbox of maintaining dog-chicken safety and peace. Anyone else use one of these Petsafe remote training collars?

View attachment 1917089 Has anyone ever utilized one of Petsafe’s remote training collars for their dogs? I’ve purchased the 100 yard remote “lite” training collar to work on a few behaviors with my small Jack Russell mix, including preventing him from chasing my hens when they’re free ranging in our yard. So far he’s only had it on for a few hours, and he, the hens and I are now all peacefully hanging out together in the backyard, something that would normally be impossible because he would be frantically chasing and terrorizing the chickens. It just took two “buzzes” (and that’s what they feel like, because I tried the collar on my own neck before I put it on my dog), and he’s now engaged in his own pursuits around the yard while ignoring the hens wandering around. If he gets too close to any of them, I give him the warning beep (no buzz), and he seems to just calmly turn and head in the opposite direction. He doesn’t seem stressed or unhappy either. I just can’t believe we’re all hanging out together in the same space without him going nuts chasing the hens. It’s amazing. Now I certainly wouldn’t leave him alone with the chickens at this point (or possibly at any point, ever), but this does seem like it’s going to be an effective tool in my overall toolbox of maintaining dog-chicken safety and peace. Anyone else use one of these Petsafe remote training collars?
I do have one of those, but I don't actually use it. What I do use is the invisible fence from PetSafe and that works very well for my dog. She really does need a lot of space to run, so we have it around about an acre of the property. It sounds like you are using it correctly. After they have been buzzed a couple times, as long as you hit the beep warning button first, they will then respond to the beep alone. I find it is only good for correction of a bad behavior and not a good tool for any other kind of training.

Just remember he is not safe when left to his own Many a dog has eaten a chicken
I have two we cannot ever let out guard down they are bird dogs at heart your yorkie mix is no different run varmits

If he knows that it's the collar, and the magic button in your hand, it will only work when you, the button, and the collar, are all present at the same time.
I've used a shock collar as part of the 'longer leash' training for my bird dogs, and it's great, as long as you use it appropriately.
It's great that he's responded so well, so fast!
Don't assume he's 'trained' at this point, because he's not. Continue the good work!
Mary

Just remember he is not safe when left to his own Many a dog has eaten a chicken
I have two we cannot ever let out guard down they are bird dogs at heart your yorkie mix is no different run varmits

No, he will never be safe enough to be left entirely alone with the chickens, but that’s why we have a coop and run for them - for times when they have to be locked up away from the dog (and other potential threats).

Back
Top Bottom