Petting your birds and loving them

I'm a middle grounder on this.

Their interest in me is that I feed them. That's it. No reason to think there's any other reason for them to prefer my company over each other's.

Still, if gotten as hatchlings, they'll imprint on the hand that feeds just as they will a broody hen, so I do put some effort into handling them early on, just to keep them relaxed when I'm around. It helps in keeping down any ruckus when I go into the coop or run. It makes it easier (if not always entirely easy) to catch them if they might need looking over for their well-being.

Those that will fly up onto my arm or shoulder, or make a point of brushing up against me like a cat . . . I can enjoy that.

So . . . enjoy it yourself. I suspect we interpret the behavior differently. If your interpretation is that it's affection, no reason you shouldn't take it as such.

We look at it differently, but we each enjoy tending our birds.

Carry on, and have fun!

Quote:
Nope.

As one example of the fact that this many times isn't the case:
I had a pullet that when I'd hold out my arm for her, she'd fly up on it. A few times I offered her a treat there & she turned away from it, seeming to say, "No food--Just cuddle me."

Another logical example:
Chicks don't grow up just liking the hen who raised them because she leads them to food. They actually like to be with her, too.If a person raises chicks, similarly, some of them like being with that person for a number of different reasons.

Nope...they stay close to their mother because she shows them food and provides a source of safety and warmth. As soon as they don't need this from her they blend in with the flock and you can't tell what chick belongs with what mama after that. They do not form life long bonds with their mommies.

Here's an experiment. Never hand feed your chickens. Have automatic feeders for all feed, water and treats. Never be near them while they are eating from these dispensers. Never be the one that lets them out of the coop or the run, as they will associate your coming with freedom as well. Cuddle them, love them, pet them otherwise. Now...see if they run to you and just want to be near your cuddly arms out of need for sheer affection.

Anyone who has tried this experiment and kept to it on a strict basis is free to report back on the natural affection of their flock of chickens. Until then, it just isn't credible.

Doesn't anyone have affection for anyone else who provides for their needs- either emotional or physical? I'm not delusional enough to think my birds love me for my scintillating conversation or charming personality, but I do have some that definitely just seem to like being with me whether I have food or not. I also had some (notice the "had") that I raised from chicks, handled regularly, treated them with my charming personality and they still were very standoffish and just this side of mean. I think it's something that will always be a mystery- why some individuals despite any and all experiences maintain a sunny disposition while others will always be grumpy. We all know people like that, right? Why not animals?

I have birds that do both. I have some that clearly are just interested in the treats. There are a few that truly love being pet. One will fly up to my lap and snuggle (while the others are on the ground frantically eating.) She loves the back of her neck scratched and will sit there and "purr". I did not raise her from a chick. She was a rescue and I think since the other chickens have still not accepted her, she wants some social and I will do.

We have a few 7 week old chicks and there are two that will come to be pet. If I am in the run, they fly to me, even if I do not have treats. If I am outside they go up to the perch and come over for a scratch.

Others just tolerate it, you can tell the difference.

Hi Steve!

I enjoy my tamer chickens much more than the standoffish ones. I do name some of them, but not all. I try to socialize them when they're chicks by holding them and petting them alot.

There are always some chicks that have really big, friendy personalities, and then some who are shy. I don't really push the shy ones to be more social, but the friendlier chickens are definitely showered with attention.

I've got three hens that LOVE LOVE LOVE to be picked up and petted. One in particular, named Petite Miss, because she's on the smaller side, DEMANDS attention, and if I don't notice her, she will fly right onto my head!
smile.png

Flopsy, a mixed red hen, who's comb flops over (thus the name), will peck the crap out of my legs if I don't pick her up. Sometimes I have to gently shoo her with my foot, because it smarts when she pecks me. She often tries to rip the buttons off of my clothes!
tongue.png
Gotta lover her.

I have a little black bantam cochin frizzle, about the size of a large guinea pig. She is the first to greet me when I go to the bantam coop, and she's just darling!

My flock is 14 large fowl chickens, 5 bantams, and two turkeys, so it's not real big, and they ALL come running when I call to them. I don't think they know their names though, but they just recognize my voice.

The turkeys are really interesting. They like to come close, but they don't like to be touched. They actually call to me, and I make a turkey noise back to them, and we have a little conversation......They're really cool birds.

So I vote YES! Pay attention to your chickens if you can! The reward is a friendlier flock.

I handled my chicks everyday and it paid off well! I have 8 very friendly lap chickens that all want their favorite spot on my lap! They are under my feet when cleaning the coop. They come when I call(kissy noise). I
love.gif
my girls!

Our chickens started out as a 4-H project and now are family pets. I can't imagine not having them around.

They all have names; Lily, Petunia, Squirt (who is no longer tiny), Macy, Stroker Ace (who we thought was a he but is a she) and Eddy (short for Esmerelda after also finding out that he was a she:)) and Buddy. They have all been handled daily since they were very young, we got them when they were 3 days old. They are all very friendly and good birds.

Buddy and Lily are my favorites. They are d'uccles and I think they both answer to their name, maybe I'm foolish, but so be it. They both jump on me, sit with me or sit on my lap. I tell them it's time to go to the coop and I open the door and in they go.

OK, I think I have an example of the "experiment"...

I'm the one who feed my chickens and lets them out every morning. Yes, they are tame and come to me. BUT, my 7 year old daughter DOESN'T feed them but she only cuddles and plays with them for hours at a time. When she goes outside the ones that "love" her, will come running to her for affection. If she sits down they have to jump into her lap and they will compete to get into her arms. It turns into a big group hug. They aren't getting food from her so I have to believe that they go to her for social interaction.

53442_droid_529.jpg

Back
Top Bottom