Petting

I've only let my oldest touch them, and the rule is she can use one finger while I'm holding the chick.
Haha, good rule!
gig.gif

My chicks are 10 weeks old now, and I go into the coop everyday and sit down on a chair and they all take turns hopping up on my lap for attention! :) All except for one who has never been very friendly... I have 12 and they are Spec. Sussex, Buff Orps, EEs, and Delaware.

My chicks are 9 weeks old now. I have 11. They come running to me when I come to see them as they think I'm going to let them outside for a run. They love it outside especially when there is sunshine. It's like the sun makes them instantly MELT. It's hilarious. Their wings droop and their legs sag and then plop!! It's like they can't help themselves. Too funny.

I have been picking them up since I got them at one day old. Now I don't pick them up as much. The white ones are the friendliest. They chortle when I pick them up then they like it. Then they sing that little twitter song. I love the way they have their different sounds for different things. If they see something new and strange, they do a cluck, cluck or a chortle and twist their heads sideways looking at the new thing or the new surroundings.

I'm about to go out now to let them out for a bit. I always stay out there and watch then I shoo them back inside.

My chicks are 9 weeks old now. I have 11. They come running to me when I come to see them as they think I'm going to let them outside for a run. They love it outside especially when there is sunshine. It's like the sun makes them instantly MELT. It's hilarious. Their wings droop and their legs sag and then plop!! It's like they can't help themselves. Too funny.

I have been picking them up since I got them at one day old. Now I don't pick them up as much. The white ones are the friendliest. They chortle when I pick them up then they like it. Then they sing that little twitter song. I love the way they have their different sounds for different things. If they see something new and strange, they do a cluck, cluck or a chortle and twist their heads sideways looking at the new thing or the new surroundings.

I'm about to go out now to let them out for a bit. I always stay out there and watch then I shoo them back inside.

How do you get them back inside by shooin them? I really want my flock to go outside too, but am so scared of predators, or not being able to catch them. Mine are only 5 weeks but are about the size of 9 week chicks...They are BR's so get big quick...but they are cooped up in their coop..and they really want out...I see you live north of me..I'm in the US but nor too far from the border...do you have lots of open space? I have trees, brush, woods, ect

We have an acre with trees and gardens. I let them ouy in an enclosed area at the back of their coop.

I've been doing this since they were about 5 weeks old. I then shoo them in or they run in at a noise and then I close the door quickly.

We have an acre with trees and gardens. I let them ouy in an enclosed area at the back of their coop.

I've been doing this since they were about 5 weeks old. I then shoo them in or they run in at a noise and then I close the door quickly.
Oh ok, yeah we are building a run too...thought you meant they were out out...was hoping to get ideas, as the run isn't done....they really want to explore outside, and follow me to the door, each time I go out to do chores....makes me feel horrible I don't dare let them out yet, till they have their run done...I wouldn't be able to catch them, and they are a stubborn breed...so would not take kindly to me trying to get them back in their coop, if they didn't want to and I can't catch them, too old to keep up lol

We have about twenty acres, but I am in the back, near so much woods, trees and brush, the 15 could easily hide from me, and definitely outrun me...they are flying great too...I can no longer climb trees to get them out...I thought about a "play pen" kinda thing, but if they escaped, while I was getting some back into their coop....disaster would ensure...too many predators and no older chickens to teach them....darn...thanks for the response though!!!
big_smile.png

Oh ok, yeah we are building a run too...thought you meant they were out out...was hoping to get ideas, as the run isn't done....they really want to explore outside, and follow me to the door, each time I go out to do chores....makes me feel horrible I don't dare let them out yet, till they have their run done...I wouldn't be able to catch them, and they are a stubborn breed...so would not take kindly to me trying to get them back in their coop, if they didn't want to and I can't catch them, too old to keep up lol We have about twenty acres, but I am in the back, near so much woods, trees and brush, the 15 could easily hide from me, and definitely outrun me...they are flying great too...I can no longer climb trees to get them out...I thought about a "play pen" kinda thing, but if they escaped, while I was getting some back into their coop....disaster would ensure...too many predators and no older chickens to teach them....darn...thanks for the response though!!!
big_smile.png
You could try letting them out an hour before dusk if you can stay out with them. They will put themselves back in then and all you have to do is close the door. I was nervous about letting mine out at one time too. I have lots of predators around. I felt bad keeping them cooped up all the time though so I finally just decided to let them out and see what happens. I have never lost a single bird to a predator. Yes, I have been very lucky because it could happen at any given moment but so far, so good!

You could try letting them out an hour before dusk if you can stay out with them. They will put themselves back in then and all you have to do is close the door. I was nervous about letting mine out at one time too. I have lots of predators around. I felt bad keeping them cooped up all the time though so I finally just decided to let them out and see what happens. I have never lost a single bird to a predator. Yes, I have been very lucky because it could happen at any given moment but so far, so good!
Thank you! Another OP suggested netting for a temporary "run" and I am going to try that. Headed to town, tomorrow...I will still be out with them and yes, it will be after dinna, or there abouts, as I will definitely be with them all the time they are out! I am sooo excited! I had an awful time, everytime I had to shut the door on their coop, after doing chores, to 15 sad faces looking at me and trying to follow me out the door!!! I think this will work, for temp, and they will be so happy to finally be out.

It's pretty cheap, just wildlife netting and bird netting for top..will run it from my cabin to their coop...it's not far from my cabin...so should be pretty inexpensive ( I looked it up online, not too bad prices ) and atleast slow down any predators, so I can shoot them with my compound bow, if needed, before they can grab a chick!!! We have a cop, living right down the road, so bow is quiet
wink.png
I think I can scrounge enough bricks to put on the bottom from right here too...I really think this could work, atleast for a week or so...no more sad faces soon
celebrate.gif
Thank you for your help!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom