Pheasant Eggs ????

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by momw2cutekids, Sep 23, 2011.

1. momw2cutekids

momw2cutekids Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    So I have 6 ring neck pheasants 2 males and 4 females - I have them in a outside enclosure, I am new at pheasants but, I have been reading alot about them.
    I know that the females should be laying a clutch of eggs around March or April - But, the last few weeks I have been recieving around 3 eggs a week......I have been throwing them in the incubator since I am not sure if they are fertile or not, I am pretty excited though and will be putting my first egg I recieved in the hatching tray in about a week....I haven't candled it.

So, my question is do you think they are fertile and why are my females laying eggs now ?????

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    if you have 2 males then there is a pretty good chance they are fertile, good luck to you.

3. craz e laid e

craz e laid e Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    I, too, am new at raising pheasants. Mine started laying last February (I live in southern Oregon) and were still laying in September. I mentioned this to a more knowledgeable "bird" person, and she asked what I was feeding. I told her chicken feed. She said that was my problem, it has hormones that keep chickens laying all year. I changed to wild game feed immediately, and I believe I finally got my last pheasant egg 3 days ago (I hope - I now have 50+ eggs in incubator). I guess I didn't research it enough, but this website seems to have everything you need to know about raising all kinds of birds. I just found it yesterday, so hopefully I will be smarter quickly.

P.S. I have had NO luck candleing - too dense!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Welcome to the group! Happy to have you with us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by