Pheasant Housing

arherp

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
Kentucky
I am looking for ideals on a good sized pen (no smaller than 8X10X6, but likely larger) that could be moved/dis-assembled if I change my mind about something later on down the road. At this point I am open to wooden bottomed and dirt bottomed enclosures. I will use either 1X1 or 1X2 wire on this project.

I am wanting something that looks really nice, and semi-permanent. Any type of tractor I kindof eliminated, due to aesthetics. I intend on landscaping inside of these and everything, I just don't want to be stuck if years on down the road I ADD and want to do something else.

I used the frame from a pole car port. (found at northern tools or tractor supply for about 150) I didnt use the "tarp" top that came with it. I used the plastic hardware cloth I found that at lowes for 13.59 a roll which is 50ftx48in and bought 4 rolls. I already had the car port erected from previous use so the chicken wire skirting was already in and we also have a chicken wire and chainlink base that I imagine can be optional depending on your need for predator proofing. (I had a dog in it originally hence the chain link, then put chickens in it, hence the chicken wire LMAO. So whatever suites your fancy would work.) I find the plastic hardware cloth is definately strong enough to keep them in without injury and is much easier to work with and maintain than actual metal wire. It can be zip tied together as well which helps. My aviary is 10x10 (at the highest point)x20. They are very happy in there. Since we have used ours for so many things it is more of a fixture now than it started as but we have the corner poles fastened down with rebar which was pounded into the ground about 4 feet. You dont have to do that though. So this would make for a reasonably "semi-permenant" pheasant home.
wink.png

Ok, thanks.. This is all helping me visualize..
wink.png

I may have a pair left for sale in the Fans, but not sure. I should have young ones for sale a little later on though.

Chain Link Dog Kennels... Readily Available From Craigslist Or At Tsc/ Home Depot New... Uses Are Limitless And They Can Be Lined/ Covered With 1 Inch Chicken Wire And Poly Tarps Or Even Wood Slats...making Them Capable Of Holding Even Quail... I Have Many In Use... They Clamp Togather And With Additional Panels Your Configuration Is Limited Only By Your Imagination

Quote:
lol JJ that was what I started with, a "dog kennel" made of chainlink for 150 from craigslist, except once I got it home most of the posts were missing and a lot of the chainlink was too.... so I adapted...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom