Pheasant Incubation..Day 24 question

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by JScatt69, May 10, 2011.

1. JScatt69

JScatt69 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Hello!
    I am on day 24 of my ringneck incubation and have a few questions.
    I've had 5 chicks hatch between the 23rd and today the 24th day. One died after pipping, one hatched with shell stuck to its butt, finally had to pull it off.
    I have 103 eggs left in the bator and only see 1 that has pipped.
    Is it normal to have only a couple hatch in a day especially with that many eggs set?
    How much more time till I give up?
    Temp is between 98-99 humidity around 70%. Temps and humidity were steady and correct prior to lockdown.

Thanks!

J

2. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Are you hatching standing up or laid down??

It's normal to have a few hatch then a break in the action for the big boom of hatching that follows.
    If they were my eggs I'd leave them until day 26+ before I pulled the plug!

3. JScatt69

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:The eggs were removed from the turn on day 21 and are laying flat.

4. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Just had my first hatch and the last chick hatched on day 28. Don't give up on them until you are sure that the rest of the eggs are dead. Hatching pheasant eggs I found is not a scientific case. The chicks hatch when they are ready. I have yet to understand why some hatch early or late, why some pip and then die, or why they grow to day 21 and die in the shell. I believe that this is just the nature of thier incubation. My hens won't tell me the secret either. I just take what I get and be happy with that. My best hatch is about 65% which is considered very good. 50% is considered average for incubating pheasant eggs.

5. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    My hatch rate runs from 70% and up on pheasants unless it's shipped eggs then 50% is decent. I use a sportsman from GQF with a multi turn electronic thermostat. It sets in the Bedroom that's climate controlled with central heat and air. I set mine dead on 100 degrees, keep water in it and wait for fuzzy butts.

I hatch all my eggs standing up, most of the time, they never leave the turning trays. I just cover the tray with a wire cover I made to keep the chicks from jumping out and hitting the bottom. I have a problem of forgetting to turn the turner back on.. [​IMG]

6. JScatt69

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks for the advice and input! I will give em a few more days

J

7. kerry 2138

kerry 2138 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Santa Fe
    The first ringneck eggs I hatched hatched over five days starting on day 24. A few the first day more the second most on the third and then tapered off the next two days.[​IMG]:

8. JScatt69

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:Well hey, thats encouraging!!

9. rdnckangel55

rdnckangel55 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    SarasotA Florida
    Quote:I am so glad to hear this! I had my first pheasant hatch yesterday morning and no pips since! I was really worried but I might wait a few more days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by