Pheasant preferences

I have, and the pheasants killed the Blacktailed White Japanese bantam rooster....oh, and these were juvenile Golden pheasants.
Oh, wow. Well, I’d still have to disagree when people say absolutely never raise them together, because some people(including myself) don’t run into issues. I would encourage a little extra caution and observation though.

I’ve had quail kill each other out of the blue, but I would tell people to never raise more than one together. Birds are very unpredictable at times.

Oh, wow. Well, I’d still have to disagree when people say absolutely never raise them together, because some people(including myself) don’t run into issues. I would encourage a little extra caution and observation though.

I’ve had quail kill each other out of the blue, but I would tell people to never raise more than one together. Birds are very unpredictable at times.
I have not tried because it's a bad idea. You haven't run into issues yet but rest assured you will. Can only play russian roulette for so long before you run out of luck.

You people on here need to start speaking from experience and not just repeating what you hear. A tremendous amount of people have been raising chickens, turkeys, and pheasants together for many many years. Yes, unfortunate things will happen now and then, but disease and violence are never 100% avoidable. So please stop scaring new bird owners from doing something that is far less serious than you play it out to be.

Not trying to scare anyone, and I am speaking from experience, as @Midnightman14 , has stated, it's a bad idea and is not being a responsible breeder. If you don't have the space or funds to care for the birds, you shouldn't be raising different species of birds all in one enclosure. It's not ethical nor biosecurity viable in the bigger picture of things...it is a 'ticking time bomb'!

Just because you have gotten 'away with it' for now, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do....just like crossbreeding, most of the crossbreeding has been done, and a search on the net and other resources, you can find out the results of the various crosses that have been attempted....I did it when I was kid (13 years old) I found out that I can't improve on what the Creator has already perfected, so I quit trying to crossbreed and instead started to preserve and promote pure breeding practices, even in the wild, pure strains are becoming harder and harder to find.

Lol I never Intended on keeping my pheasants with chickens I just wanted to know what species was the most sociable

You people on here need to start speaking from experience and not just repeating what you hear. A tremendous amount of people have been raising chickens, turkeys, and pheasants together for many many years. Yes, unfortunate things will happen now and then, but disease and violence are never 100% avoidable. So please stop scaring new bird owners from doing something that is far less serious than you play it out to be.
We're speaking from experience not just going by what we were told. Prior to internet and facebook forums this info wasn't readily available so we did it out of ignorance. It didn't end well. A "tremendous" amount of people are not doing it just the few who think that a few years of keeping chickens means they know more about pheasants than people who have kept pheasants for decades. Keeping pheasants with chickens WILL end badly sooner or later and doing it for years doesn't mean anything given that birds can change their personalities at the drop of a hat especially during breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom