Pheasants-- what are they like?

Well, I hope to raise it straight from a young chick. It will be raised with a lot of snuggling, treats, and attention.

Last edited:
I have another question.

I have a pet store near me that sells Golden pheasants (I've seen the adults there, not sure if they have chicks). I was thinking of buying one from this store, but there's one problem. I hate how filthy this store is. I think I risk spreading a disease to the rest of my flock by buying from them. But they're the only people in AZ (that I know of) who carries Golden Pheasants.
hmm.png

Do you think it'd be okay to buy from them?

I didn't realize you asked that question. I hate it when people keep such beautiful birds in such horrible conditions. However since you found some locally it's easier than shipping. If you don't have any other pheasants, and the birds look healthy, and they are not too much money I would take the chance.

Are there any breeds that can be raised and turned loose to free range without them flying off? i have 100 aces plus 100's of acres of farm, anch and some forest land around mine.

My husband wants some but i do not pen things up here unless i have to cause i got the land to let them forage without causing problems with other people.

If you keep the larger pheasants wings clipped you can fence them in without building an aviary. But to be honest with you, all pheasants will eventually become feral with time. Also when you just fence them in you have to bring them in at night, like in a large chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom