Phoenixes -- What are their gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alycia, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    I have two bantam Phoenix mixes that are gonna be two months old soon. They were hatched early May when I returned home from college by a Silver Phoenix hen and I'm guessing my Silkie mix rooster and my Phoenix rooster might have struck at different times because one looks purebred and the other has more Silkie traits like the skin color and some feathering on its legs.

But the question here is the gender. I know at a certain age, the Phoenix feathering starts differentiating but it's been awhile since I've had actually Phoenix looking chicks. Most of my Phoenixes are years old. So I forget [​IMG] If anyone can give me an idea about their genders, I would be very appreciative! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can see the coloring and feathering on the neck here of them both, as well as the saddle feathers on the Golden one. Sorry the Silver is a little blurry.

[​IMG]
    The neck feathers on the Silver.

[​IMG]
    A shot of the hackles on the Golden one.

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Could you get a better picture of their heads? [​IMG] The golden one might be a male, but I could be wrong. The silver looks like a female to me.

3. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Okay no problem [​IMG] I got my sister to agree to holding them while I took some! Haha pardon her fingers and it was hard to get pictures because the little brats kept moving their heads. Lol.

The Gold one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Silver one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    So far it's a bit early to tell, but the one with more gold in it needs watching for cockerel signs. The silver one is feathering classic female, and shouldn't change her colors all that much.

Good luck, I hope you get the genders you want! They're both adorable.

5. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Thank you! I was suspicious about the Gold one too and as it gets older, I'll keep watching to see how his/her feathering goes and maybe post more pictures! My sister was hoping the little Silver would be a girl; I'm excited! I'd love another Gold rooster myself, as my first Gold Phoenix rooster passed away a couple years ago and I can't seem to get a hold of one.

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by