Phone number required for posting in BYC forum

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fowl_Odor002, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    I've noticed that on-line forums are now requiring you to hand over your phone number in order to post comments

I think this is a great idea for BYC; just in case someone says something we don't like, we can track him down and terrify his chickens, tip over his chicken feed, step on his fresh laid eggs, and stuff like that

remember:
    if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Lol!

But surely you're kidding. Who would hand over their phone number just to post a comment?! I understand using it as validation and security, but as a staple requirement before posting... No. And how can they guarantee they got the real number? By validating it through text or something? I would not trust that. Sounds like another way for people's identities and personal info to become available to any hacker that wants it.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

My phone number an address are all over the internet anyway... I get some wild phone calls an the occasional person drop by.

No that I recommend everyone be that public.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] 867-5309

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Jenny I got your number.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I do know there are some phishing scams that duplicate the forum or web page you're supposed to sign into, so if you weren't suspicious of it you'd just enter your details like usual. I get a Hotmail phishing scam often, wanting my details, pretending I need to enter my phone number or my password again... No. Scams galore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by