Photo question-- how to get slides onto the computer.

NurseNettie

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Northern Maine
I guess this fits best in this section.

I just got TONS of slides from cleaning out my grandparents house. They go back to the 50's. I know there is something out there where I can convert the images to digital ( on the computer). I don't know where to start looking? I imagine it's a device of some sort with software,, but don't know what to call it- so my searches are coming up empty.

Any handy, dandy photogs out there know what I'm looking for? I'd appreciate the help!!!

It takes a special scanner - Slide Scanner

something like this http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/digital-conversion/b070/?cpg=ab

anything else, you can go as fancy or as humble as you want with this sort of stuff
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks folks! I knew this was the right place to ask. Do any of you actually use one? I have literally THOUSANDS and thousands of slides to review and scan-- it's going to take a very long time! I"m looking for a quick, yet quality solution
smile.png

I have used a flat bed scanner with a slide option. It was kind of a pain. My sister works at a photo lab so she did all the old family slides. I know...that is totally cheating
big_smile.png

Not cheating-- LUCKY!!! I've got photos and slides, and negatives.. Trying to find the best option to do all 3. I've got a flatbed scanner as part of my all in one printer- so slides are my biggest priority. I've found a couple, and have to narrow it down and decide!
smile.png

Quote:

It depends on what equipment and how much money you got and what your expectations are. You can buy a dedicated slide scanner that does a wonderful job if you need professional images or a lot of them. My folks had an old slide projector that had a little side view port. I found I could take a digital of that and get an ok pic for a web page, nothing for great print quality.
10901_dad_and_me_small.jpg
This is one I found when I went home for my dad's funeral that I don't ever remember seeing before. So I took a shot of it in the little viewer just to check it out. It's not the greatest, but that shared moment with my dad at Niagra falls is now mine to treasure.

Great pic!!

I've got about 30 carousels filled with slides, and 2 bankers boxes full of boxed slides to go through. I'll be digitizing them for family, so there's a LOT to do. I'm looking at the scanners on Amazon.com and other sites right now- trying to decide which would be best. I know a lot of family is going to want to print some out ( those without computers) so I want them to be nice enough to reproduce.

On the same note--- any software reccomendations for photo restoration? I've got a lot with wrinkles and crinkles that could use touch ups!

Quote:

I work for the largest hospital system in my state, in the media department, Im constantly having to convert slides to digital. Heres my workflow, I use an epson flatbed to scan. I have found that most slide only scanners are rather expensive and the qual it less. then I use photoshop to do any nescessary changes. I realize this isnt the cheapest route. But may be the best qual. Let me know if you run into any problems Ill be glad to try my best to help.
Have fun

Back
Top Bottom