Photo- what are these spots in my hens eggs

Kate E

Chirping
Jun 30, 2017
Wisconsin
It's finally spring in Wisconsin which means over the weekend I was greeted at the coop with fresh eggs. My hens haven't laid since late fall so this was a much welcomed surprise. I was excited to cook up some eggs this morning but noticed something strange inside of 2 of the eggs- several brown/ red spots in and around the yolk. I have several girls that lay brown eggs so I'm not entirely sure who laid these 2 eggs but everyone in the flock seems happy, healthy with normal energy levels and behavior. What are these spots? Are these eggs safe to eat? I tried googling this but of course got a million different answers, nothing consistent. Over the winter there has been ZERO ability to get them out of the coop to free range and scratch around- we've had 3+ feet of snow for months until this last week. Their diet consists of 16% protein feed sprinkling of mealworms to encourage scratching about in the run during the winter months and the rare corn treat which they are obsessed with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 17
Good news! This is normal and totally safe to eat. It has nothing to do with fertility or dietary problems or even health problems. It's just the way the eggs come out from time to time. The egg comes from a follicle on the ovaries, when that follicle ruptures the egg is released, when it ruptures sometimes tiny blood vessels rupture as well, and you see a drop or two of blood in the egg, just part of the process. When we get store bought eggs, they know consumers like a sterilized and uniform food product (not what nature gives us) so when they candle them any with spots are graded differently and go on to become the liquefied eggs or powdered eggs that many commercial operations use.

Back
Top Bottom