Pic have been added! ducklings, 21 out of 22 hatched!

AhBee01

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
yo. ohio
My ducklings all hatched but one! She had 22 eggs. I candled and watched the last one for movement for about 5 minutes just to be sure, it looked fully formed,but no movement and no internal pip.
All in all I think she did a great job, never in my life did I think all of the would have hatched.
So of course they are born on the coldest nights of the week.
I hope they will be alright.
I put a light in the pen with Momma, but I didn't close her in, I was afraid she would need water and her bucket is outside.Outside the ducklings can't reach in the bucket, but inside I was worried they would find a way to get to it. Also didn't want it to get dumped, then they would be cold and wet!
I do have a waterer in there and feeder. They felt all toasty. It is 41 right now. The door doesn't face the weather. Her house is in a secure run.
I hope the babies won't follow Momma out if she does get a drink, but they can get back in cuz my little guy held one and put it down in the run, and it found it's Momma and got right up in there and under her!
We have 13 supposedly spoken for so far, so that should lesson the load on Momma! What a sight to see though, Momma walking her 21 babies out to the creek, to bad it is to cold to let them out.
Although don't wild ducks go right for the water?
They are Muscovys and Momma like to play in the water, but not much!
Oh well thanks for letting me share, and I will post an updated pic soon!
Brenda

OK, Here are some pics! She lead them right into the water! 48 here today!
Here is Squeeker with her clutch, & My Li'l guy Michael!

DSCN2875.jpg

Here in Squeeker and In the Run is the Daddy Paddle checking out his children!

DSCN2874.jpg

Playing in the creek! All 21!!!

DSCN2882.jpg

Last edited:
That last picture is adorable! I have a pair of muscovies, but the female is old and doesnt lay. After seeing these pics, I really wish she did!!

I kept counting 20 ducklings, I didnt see the one in the top right of the last pic!

Last edited:
OMG! Those ducklins are soo beautiful! Are you ever going to be coming through PA any time soon? I would love a pair.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom