Pic have been added! ducklings, 21 out of 22 hatched!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AhBee01, Apr 28, 2008.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    My ducklings all hatched but one! She had 22 eggs. I candled and watched the last one for movement for about 5 minutes just to be sure, it looked fully formed,but no movement and no internal pip.
    All in all I think she did a great job, never in my life did I think all of the would have hatched.
    So of course they are born on the coldest nights of the week.
    I hope they will be alright.
    I put a light in the pen with Momma, but I didn't close her in, I was afraid she would need water and her bucket is outside.Outside the ducklings can't reach in the bucket, but inside I was worried they would find a way to get to it. Also didn't want it to get dumped, then they would be cold and wet!
    I do have a waterer in there and feeder. They felt all toasty. It is 41 right now. The door doesn't face the weather. Her house is in a secure run.
    I hope the babies won't follow Momma out if she does get a drink, but they can get back in cuz my little guy held one and put it down in the run, and it found it's Momma and got right up in there and under her!
    We have 13 supposedly spoken for so far, so that should lesson the load on Momma! What a sight to see though, Momma walking her 21 babies out to the creek, to bad it is to cold to let them out.
    Although don't wild ducks go right for the water?
    They are Muscovys and Momma like to play in the water, but not much!
    Oh well thanks for letting me share, and I will post an updated pic soon!
    Brenda

OK, Here are some pics! She lead them right into the water! 48 here today!
    Here is Squeeker with her clutch, & My Li'l guy Michael!

[​IMG]

Here in Squeeker and In the Run is the Daddy Paddle checking out his children!

[​IMG]

Playing in the creek! All 21!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Congratulations! Can hardly wait for pictures!

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Congrats, I love baby muscovys. She will keep them warm enough, you don't have to worry about them.

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    21 hatched! [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    WOW! That's a lot of babies! So cute!!!! She looks like one happy and busy mommy! [​IMG]

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    That last picture is adorable! I have a pair of muscovies, but the female is old and doesnt lay. After seeing these pics, I really wish she did!!

I kept counting 20 ducklings, I didnt see the one in the top right of the last pic!

7. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Awe, they are the cutest things ever! Well, except for chickies. They are neck-in-neck in cuteness factors!!! Congrats!! Steph

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That is just too much cuteness!!

9. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    OMG! Those ducklins are soo beautiful! Are you ever going to be coming through PA any time soon? I would love a pair.
    [​IMG]

10. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Beautiful family, love the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by