1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pic of babies from my first hatch

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by eestep8, Apr 8, 2009.

1. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Here they finally are after the long 21 day wait lol. They are all silkies. They come from a buff and partridge mixed flock. Any clue about which colors they are? The one has a great poof, does the way it's standing with its held held high mean its a rooster? BTW there are 7 but you can only see 5 here.

[​IMG]

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] So cute... makes me want more chicks!

3. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Not even a week old yet and they are getting wing feathers. It's almost as if they grew overnight, I don't remember seeing feathers yesterday lol.

4. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    OMG gimme gimme!!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Those silkie chickens just look like... something else!

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    My uncle hatched a silkie the other day and it was Red and brown. It was the most unique color I've ever seen in a baby chick!

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oohhhhh they look so velvety! One day I will have a silky. DH says no...we have no need for a fluffy chicken but i'll accidentally hatch one soon.

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Its hard to tell what color they will be since it was a mixed flock. But no you can not tell a silkie's gender by the bump on its head. Those are called vaulted skulls and they come from lines that have bred polishes in for larger feathers on the head. You will get some good puffs out of those with the vaulted skulls.

9. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Quote:just by accident will you?....[​IMG]

10. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I wish I could get more! My not so little six babies went to the coop for their first night last night. I miss have their little fuzzy butts in the house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by