Pick a breed!!!!!!

Yardbirds286

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Western Mass
I have had to separate by BR and BO. Soooo...now I have a big ole coop with 5 rowdy BR pullets. I got to thinking maybe I need more chickens
wink.png
I want good brown egg layers, that are friendly to people (I have two boys that love our chickens), but they need to stand up for themselves when they meet my rowdy BR girls. My BO are as big or bigger than they are, but they just took their beatings everyday, and are much happier being away from them. I can't decide, help me pick.
big_smile.png

I have read that several people on here have kept both breeds together with no problem. However, it did not work out for us. I have the extreme in both personalities. Way rowdy, and way laid back. So we want to find another breed to go in with the BR's. The BO are my sweet girls. Even DH (who wasn't crazy about us getting chickens) calls him the golden girls, and they follow him around. he he
smile.png

I have two older girls, one barred rock and one EE. I just got some Wyandotte girls, read about them, they are good layers of brown eggs, and from what I have read seem to be pretty friendly. Plus their colors are great. I was going between them and Rhode Island Reds, but decided with the wyandottes when a rareish color came up
big_smile.png

Delawares they are almost too friendly get along with everybody I have without being mean. Mine are always wanting to have you pay attention to them even if it's just to untie your shoes they come running whenever they see any person and most of mine seem to like to be picked up. My New Hampshires are very similar just not as extreme.

My EE's are very sweet, but don't put up with anybody's crap -- that's practically perfect... except you're looking for brown eggs... some of them lay lightish beige eggs.

Jenny

You know, I bet the kids would think that EE's are pretty cool. I was thinking about the GLW not too long ago. I can't decide....I just need them to be able to not take any junk from the rugby player, BR girls I have
wink.png

I have Australorps with my BRs, I did have BOs with them but I found that they caused fights so I sold them.

Australorps are great layers and they are very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom