Pick apart my plan for hen run pls!

barnhiller

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
Fingal, Dublin, Ireland
Howdy,

I'm new here. Place keeps coming up in searches for info on the topic, you all seem so very clever with this stuff! Might I run something by you all?

We have 4 rescue hens about a year now, they're doing well. The cheap hen coop we bought is not. You've seen them in stock photos, no doubt. Not well built, not suitable for rainy old Ireland. I threw together a run knowing that it wouldn't last very long. It's held up well but is not easy to live with. So here's the plan...

New run. Dig a small foundation trench, lay down paving bricks flat in trench, other bricks half sticking out above ground level on top, stacked on their sides. The hen coop built directly on top of this template, stilted with big wood screws and anchored in ground with wooden stakes. Inside area shallowly excavated and filled with hardcore, then weed control layer, then rubber safety matts, then in filled with sand for the hens. 2m x 1.5m area, 1m tall to front, 1.4m to rear, corrugated steel roof on hinge, door/gate at one end, hen coop at other.

So would anyone see any issues with this set up? Should I get rid of the failing hen coop now, save the heartache? And does anyone have any experience with the heavy duty rubber matts, any reason I shouldn't use them to stop my ladies scratching their way to China?!

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. We've used wood shavings, etc for the last year. We get an awful amount of rain. I need a better drained area. Even with shelter the coop just turns into a midden heap. So matts to prevents digging to soil level. Sand and hardcore for drainage. Might continue to use the wood, leaves again.

Kudos to you for thinking hard about this! I agree to skip the rubber mat and sand. Mulch, leaves, etc. will help compost the poop. If you're concerned about predators digging their way in, consider lining the bottom of the run with hardware cloth. If you do this, though, provide a container for dust baths. Chickens need a place to dig. Keep us posted on progress!

Thanks for the reply. We've used wood shavings, etc for the last year. We get an awful amount of rain. I need a better drained area. Even with shelter the coop just turns into a midden heap. So matts to prevents digging to soil level. Sand and hardcore for drainage. Might continue to use the wood, leaves again.
Can you dig some trenches to redirect the water around the run? I did this and filled the trenches with river stone. Helps a lot!

Thanks for the reply. Thing is, we live in a very swampy area, very high water table. If I only roof the run and I leave the birds forage and scratch it would get swampy again. I have a dust bath for them.

I'm hoping the 7=8 inch deep brick foundation will be enough deterrent for the local foxes. We've not had any problems from them the last year. The buzzards concern me when we let the ladies out to free range!

Howdy,

I'm new here. Place keeps coming up in searches for info on the topic, you all seem so very clever with this stuff! Might I run something by you all?

We have 4 rescue hens about a year now, they're doing well. The cheap hen coop we bought is not. You've seen them in stock photos, no doubt. Not well built, not suitable for rainy old Ireland. I threw together a run knowing that it wouldn't last very long. It's held up well but is not easy to live with. So here's the plan...

New run. Dig a small foundation trench, lay down paving bricks flat in trench, other bricks half sticking out above ground level on top, stacked on their sides. The hen coop built directly on top of this template, stilted with big wood screws and anchored in ground with wooden stakes. Inside area shallowly excavated and filled with hardcore, then weed control layer, then rubber safety matts, then in filled with sand for the hens. 2m x 1.5m area, 1m tall to front, 1.4m to rear, corrugated steel roof on hinge, door/gate at one end, hen coop at other.

So would anyone see any issues with this set up? Should I get rid of the failing hen coop now, save the heartache? And does anyone have any experience with the heavy duty rubber matts, any reason I shouldn't use them to stop my ladies scratching their way to China?!

Thanks
I would build a walk in style run. And I wouldn't use the mats. If it's that rainy there you will have a stinking quagmire in no time. I understand your desire to stop them digging. But I fear you will deeply regret trying this technique.
Lots of dry organic material is best. Build the ground up with lots of dry material. Wood chips and dry leaves work well.
Your dimensions are small for 4 hens. I would shoot for closer to 2.5m x 2.5m instead. The coop area could be smaller than what is normally recommended if your entire run is completely predator proof. You could make it 1.56 m2 and leave the pop door open to the run.
I would run a predator apron out 2' vs. digging to set brick.
Put everything up on high ground and divert all water runoff away from everything.
Buzzards usually only go after carrion, not live animals.

Thanks Tonya. I'll take all that under advisement but I don't have a lot of space to situate this run. I'm not a land owner, this is a back garden job. I can't simply put things on higher ground. I intend to improve soil drainage too.
You're right, european common buzzards do primarily eat carrion. But I've seen them take out unsuspecting wood pigeons in the garden before, so....concern.

How tall are you planning to make it? I would highly recommend making it walk in. I would also add a roof with the slope sending the water where ever it will go best away from the coop. This should help a lot with your rain issue.

How tall are you planning to make it? I would highly recommend making it walk in. I would also add a roof with the slope sending the water where ever it will go best away from the coop. This should help a lot with your rain issue.
Thanks. Roof will be storm hinged and there will be a gate. Might make it taller, depending on how I get the lumber. And I'll have a gutter and down pipe to a nearby soak away.

Back
Top Bottom