Pick no more

I know this is a huge rabbit trail from the original question, but anyone who says that chickens won't mate with close relatives....I would never take anything else they say about chicken seriously. They apparently have no idea what they're talking about. Or, I've bred multiple lines of...what do you call smelling impaired? Not deaf, not dumb, what would that be? Anyway, my birds must all have it. I have cockerels enthusiastically mounting their mothers and sisters all the time. And the hens are fine with it.

Quote: Might be a good idea to read the study... perhaps there is more info in the study that would make sense. No reason to dismiss the entire article just because of the one comment, right?

I have to admit I only scanned the study. I just couldn't get past that comment, I guess it was kind of a deal breaker for me.

I have to admit I only scanned the study. I just couldn't get past that comment, I guess it was kind of a deal breaker for me. 

I guess I read things a little differently... That one doesn't make sense to me, so I'd have to read more about it, but much of the other stuff I have read before, so I think the majority could be true. Have you read Gail Damerow's books, or the chicken chicks website? Plenty of misinformation in both, but that doesn't mean that one should write them off.

Lets all play nice ....;)...lol

Cheers!

I thought I was, lol. I mean no disrespect to any BYC members, and I understand why people don't believe the offspring thing because I've had siblings mate, father/daughters, mothers/sons, etc, though this has been mostly with birds caged together. Personally, I think it's an interesting subject and would like to read more about it.

As for playing nice in regards to Damerow's books, and chicken chicks website, well both are full of misinformation. :D

Here's another link for those that like reading studies:
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fevo.2016.00094/full

I originally posted the first because someone said they weren't sure if chickens could smell. There is an avian pathologist I know that studies the ears, eyes, nares of birds, so I'll ask him if he can point us to some publications (I think maybe he sent me one in an email, so I'll look for that).

Blue Kote is not pick no more......Pick no more is red but is cayenne pepper based and used to put on birds to stop picking.....Saddles will not protect them if its a picking issue.....They will pick other areas exposed.....

Cheers!

I just put two saddles on, but they cover the picked areas completely. Saddles worked once, but evidentally we saw new feather growth and got excited and moved them too soon. I have three more that are going on girls who were picked, but not down to skin. I got s pack if five from Amazon for a few bucks.
The lead chicken stayed in house with ne two days and nights, which did nothing to change her behavior. I have a seperate area in the run made from the tallest ex pens. Which they escape. I forgot they fly. I will add tarps on top.

I thought I was, lol. I mean no disrespect to any BYC members, and I understand why people don't believe the offspring thing because I've had siblings mate, father/daughters, mothers/sons, etc, though this has been mostly with birds caged together. Personally, I think it's an interesting subject and would like to read more about it.

As for playing nice in regards to Damerow's books, and chicken chicks website, well both are full of misinformation. :D

Young male Killer Whales are tutored by older females who can no longer reproduce. Then they travel to a foreign group to breed, to avoid inbreeding. I think if I were breeding, I'd change up the Rooster regularly.

The nice thing about birds is, mating does not automatically equal offspring. my birds can mate their little hearts out, but I control the actual incubation, and therefore the potential inbreeding.

Not saying I don't hatch from some of those close matings, just saying each hatch is a conscious decision on my part.

Back
Top Bottom