Picked chicken with a lame leg

juliawitt

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
My favorite chicken (of course), lost her back feathers to a rooster. We got rid of the rooster, but I have been worried about that pink skin showing. Sure enough, I came home day before yesterday, and the hen was sitting alone by the fence. I went to her, and saw where her bald skin was "picked" and somewhat bloody. She was also not walking. I picked her up and put her in the "sick chicken area" of the hen house. After 30 minutes, she began to eat and drink but was clearly limping on her right leg. I can not imagine what could have happened. I pine tared her and have left her segregated. She layed a beautiful egg yesterday. Today, my husband has called to say she is not eating and she is not walking. Any ideas?? Should I get her antibiotics? Would the others pick at her just because she hurt her leg? They are getting laying ration with free choice calcium and oats and scratch to play with. Only 1 cup a day for all 14 hens. They are also 36 weeks old and have been together since the brooder. I need suggestions please!

Yes, the others will pick on her because she's weak and wounded; it's sad but that's what chickens do. You would do well to isolate her until she's better. If there's no apparent injury, give her some nutritional support and TLC and let nature heal her. If you can get her into a seperate pen with one or two milder flockmates that would be ideal.
You could scramble up that beautiful egg she laid and feed it back to her for extra nourishment.

Are you saying that they only get one cup of food for 14 hens? That's not enough food for them, I'm thinking. It's not bad for scratch but a good healthy mix of oats, wheat and BOSS could be handed to them in a larger quantity. I have six standards and they will almost finish a quart sized yogurt container of food a day. In addition, they get about one cup of homemade scratch at night before bed. I think chickens should have their layer food in front of them always, they tend to not overeat.

Picking can be caused by a diet too low in protein. Some layer mixes have around 16% protein which I don't think is enough for the kind of winter we've had, or any winter. Remember, in the summer they get a fair amount of protein by eating bugs and things. I feed Purina Flock Raiser which is 20% protein. During this past winter I gave mine some hamburger every two or three days to give them a bit more protein. They laid quite well during the harshest winter Colorado has had in 14 years. Some of this may be due to their youth, but I like to think that some is due to their keeping as well.

I'll bet that her youth will serve her well and with some additional nutritional support and care she'll get better. But it would be a good idea to isolater her and put some Blu-Kote on any areas that are bleeding to keep the other birds from continuing to pick on her.

Good luck, Mary

I agree with above post. Yes, they will pick on her, unfortunately. Can she use the leg at all? If you give the hurt leg's toes a slight pinch, does she respond? I had a hen a few weeks back with a leg injury, but sadly, it became apparent that the leg had been broken/had severe nerve damage when it was obvious that she had no control over the leg, and we did have to put her down.

But, if she is managing to get around well and does have response in the foot/leg, that's a great sign. I, too, feed Purina Flock Raiser and I leave it out all of the time, with good results.

I would keep her separated until she is better, and wounds have healed. Any sign of a scab, and the others will pick her relentlessly. I haven't used BluKote, but it sounds like a great idea...I have actually used BandAids to cover wounds, ha!

I did not mean only one cup of food per chicken.....they have free choice layer ration all day and night. I meant only one cup of scratch per 14 chickens. Scratch is just a treat; I limit it so I won't upset the balance. She got up for me when I got home. She also ate some cottage cheese and then began eating her layer ration. She still looks bright eyed and perky to me. I think her feelings are hurt and she is sore. Do you think I should give her antibiotic?? I just wish I knew how she hurt her leg. The only obvious wound is the peck place on her back, the leg has no open wound, so I'm guessing she must have sprained it.....they had free ranged the night before we found her hurt and she was running and flying about with gusto!! Somehow, she hurt herself and I just can't figure out how. I also can't figure out which ones are pecking at her...

That is a great idea to feed her an egg.......she definately deserves treats. She is one beautiful dominique. Thanks for the advice. Now, should I get her antibiotic and if so, what one?

No antibiotics please. Giving antibiotics without an infection leads to resistant strains of bacteria and antibiotics are hard on kidneys. There's no reason to stress your girl any more than she is already.

It sounds as though she's on the road to recovery but she will need to heal before she goes back in with the rest of the flock. Can you set up a "run inside the run " so she can be with them but get away from them? At night when they're asleep she could probably go roost with them but get her away early in the morning if they continue to pick on her.

Good luck, Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom