Picked up an abandoned Roo on the side of the road today

People DO suck! We spent three nights in the woods next to an apartment complex near us, where a little polish roo got dumped. Lots of people liked him, and fed him, but the few who did not like him threatened to shoot him. So, we came. He was a wily little guy! It was not until the third night of sneaking, trying to ambush, trap with food, lure with one of our own hens, and simply chasing him with a net, through dark woods, that we finally got him. Exhaustion, I think, was what finally took him down. He turned out to be the sweetest, funniest little rooster! Once we were sure he was sound, we had zero trouble finding him a great home. Whoever dumped him could have done the same, with so much less stress to that sweet boy! Just lazy, I guess. I suppose a person could take them to the spca, couldn't they?

This maaay just be me, especially since more experienced owners have said it's nothing but an injury, but does that scab look a little bit like a small fungal infection to anyone else? My rooster had a fungal infection on his comb and it looked a little bit similar to that. I don't want to give out false info in case I'm wrong, but I figured I'd throw that out there in case anyone agrees.

Maybe watch it to make sure it's nothing. If it doesn't go away and/or gets bigger maybe keep this in mind, as that's what happened to my roo 😅

From a medical standpoint though... does anyone see any red flags in the original post?

Could the gaping thing have been stress induced, or should I be on the look out for respiratory disease? I haven't seen any other respiratory-type symptoms.

Should I worry about the black poop yet? Was hoping that that it would go away with a few days of good nutrition, but its not something I've encountered before.

A round of "just in case" safegaurd is a good idea, right? We live in the deep south, and I usually just assume that anything living outdoors around here as some kind of intestinal parasite.
No the injuries could be from trees and branches, bad poop from a poor diet.

Update: He's doing great today, eating and crowing to the girls (which he can hear but not see from inside our mud room)
I did notice some significant darkening on the back of his comb this morning. It was a dull purplish color, and only one the last quarter or so of his comb. I just went down to get a picture, and its basically back to normal. I snapped a pic anyway, and you can see a little discoloration, but it looks basically like it did yesterday.
Is that kind of fluctuation normal?

Attachments

• 20210321_212218.jpg
    20210321_212218.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 6
Update: He's doing great today, eating and crowing to the girls (which he can hear but not see from inside our mud room)
I did notice some significant darkening on the back of his comb this morning. It was a dull purplish color, and only one the last quarter or so of his comb. I just went down to get a picture, and its basically back to normal. I snapped a pic anyway, and you can see a little discoloration, but it looks basically like it did yesterday.
Is that kind of fluctuation normal?
It’s pretty normal for roosters with big combs.
DA0B20CF-9A48-415B-A1D0-74311D463AFA.jpeg

Just taking the time to appreciate this lovely example of what people are capable of doing to counter act what people are also capable of doing. This warms my heart.

Thank you for what you are doing/did. Luckily the fella survived Woodstock (pun fully intentenial) 😅

Again thank you for doing this🤙

He is such a gentleman too! (We'll see how he is after he starts feeling his oats, but for now, he's awesome!) I was worried that he might just appear sedate because he's weak, but he's very alert and not at all sick looking or dumpy. He hasn't once tried to peck me and I've handled him numerous times now. He even let my husband hold him in his lap while I worked in mite/lice spray.
...my 3 year old son has conspired with my husband and named him Corndog.

Back
Top Bottom