Picking an endangered breed.

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
Currently I have mixed flock of hatchery birds. They have great but I have thought about going with one breed. Even an endangered breed, but I have no idea what kind to get / which ones are endangered.

If I go with an endangered breed I would like something with above average egg laying, medium+ size eggs and handles cold weather.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Muahahahaahaha! You just asked the million dollar question!

Now all the rare breeders will be hitting you up....LOL.

You could try the Icelandics...we are always looking for new breeders. Join us, Joooooiiiiiinnnnn us!

If I had a choice, I would also go for the Icelandics!!! One day I will have some and will name my roo Finboggey, after my great great grandfather who migrated to the US from Iceland
love.gif
!! (Sigh) can you tell that I've given this some thought? He he he.... They are also very cold resistant and they don't have any one "look", you can get all different looking birds from one flock.... Let us know what you decide
pop.gif

Personally I think you should go with a more recognized breed. Some really rare ones out there in desperate need of preservation include:

La Fleche, Spitzhauben, Houdan, Crevecoeur, Sicilian Buttercup, Derbyshire Redcap, New Hampshire, Sultan, White Faced Black Spanish, Catalana, Chantecler, Campine, Holland, Orloff, Lakenvelder, Rhode Island White, and Malay.

I may have forgotten a few others too. New Hampshires and Rhode Island Whites especially are an American heritage breed with plenty of egg production and cold tolerance, and big eggs!
smile.png

I was just outside looking at my cockerels, seeing which one I was going to pick.

And now you just named the one on the right "Finboggey" Thanks.
roll.png

36979_img_9695.jpg

...somethings were just meant to be.

Last edited:
I just read an article in Hobby Farm's Chicken edition that listed "Breeds in Need" according to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy Conservation Priority list, the "Critical" breeds are Campine, Chantecler, Crevecoeur, Holland, Modern Game, Nankin, Redcap, Russian Orloff, Spanish, Sultan, Sumatra and Yokoama. Critical means fewer than 500 breeding birds in the US, with five or fewer primary breeding flocks and globaly endangered. Their next category are "Threatened", which mean there are fewer than 1,000 breeding birds in the US with 7 or fewer primary breeding flocks and they are Andalusian, Buckeye, Buttercup, Cubalaya, Delaware, Dorking, Faverolle, Java, Lakenvelder, Langshan, Malay and Phoenix. They also have a "Watch" list and a "Recovering" list.

I just spent a big chunk of last night reading up on the birds listed in the Critical and Threatened list, since I'm considering doing the same thing you are considering doing (waiting till next summer), looking at cold hearty and decent egg production, but I also want to consider raising any "culls" for meat, keeping the best of every generation to breed next year's crop. I'm kind of leaning towards Dorkings, Delawares and Buckeyes, with perhaps a Langshan or Cochin as a broodie. I'd love to keep in touch with you about what you decide and how it works. Maybe we can compare notes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom