Picking an endangered breed.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by patman75, Aug 6, 2011.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Currently I have mixed flock of hatchery birds. They have great but I have thought about going with one breed. Even an endangered breed, but I have no idea what kind to get / which ones are endangered.

If I go with an endangered breed I would like something with above average egg laying, medium+ size eggs and handles cold weather.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Muahahahaahaha! You just asked the million dollar question!

Now all the rare breeders will be hitting you up....LOL.

You could try the Icelandics...we are always looking for new breeders. Join us, Joooooiiiiiinnnnn us!

3. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    If I had a choice, I would also go for the Icelandics!!! One day I will have some and will name my roo Finboggey, after my great great grandfather who migrated to the US from Iceland [​IMG]!! (Sigh) can you tell that I've given this some thought? He he he.... They are also very cold resistant and they don't have any one "look", you can get all different looking birds from one flock.... Let us know what you decide [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Personally I think you should go with a more recognized breed. Some really rare ones out there in desperate need of preservation include:

La Fleche, Spitzhauben, Houdan, Crevecoeur, Sicilian Buttercup, Derbyshire Redcap, New Hampshire, Sultan, White Faced Black Spanish, Catalana, Chantecler, Campine, Holland, Orloff, Lakenvelder, Rhode Island White, and Malay.

I may have forgotten a few others too. New Hampshires and Rhode Island Whites especially are an American heritage breed with plenty of egg production and cold tolerance, and big eggs! [​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I was just outside looking at my cockerels, seeing which one I was going to pick.

And now you just named the one on the right "Finboggey" Thanks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...somethings were just meant to be.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. patman75

I dont see Icelandics in the BYC database, but I know I have seen the name before. hhhmmm. Time to do some searching.

7. patman75

Quote:Thanks for the list. interesting.... [​IMG]

So what happens to a backyard chicken farmer when they turn to rare breeds? [​IMG]

8. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Then they are called "rare breed preservationist". Its alot of responsibility! [​IMG] jk I don't really know but it sounds good! [​IMG]

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  10. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I just read an article in Hobby Farm's Chicken edition that listed "Breeds in Need" according to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy Conservation Priority list, the "Critical" breeds are Campine, Chantecler, Crevecoeur, Holland, Modern Game, Nankin, Redcap, Russian Orloff, Spanish, Sultan, Sumatra and Yokoama. Critical means fewer than 500 breeding birds in the US, with five or fewer primary breeding flocks and globaly endangered. Their next category are "Threatened", which mean there are fewer than 1,000 breeding birds in the US with 7 or fewer primary breeding flocks and they are Andalusian, Buckeye, Buttercup, Cubalaya, Delaware, Dorking, Faverolle, Java, Lakenvelder, Langshan, Malay and Phoenix. They also have a "Watch" list and a "Recovering" list.

I just spent a big chunk of last night reading up on the birds listed in the Critical and Threatened list, since I'm considering doing the same thing you are considering doing (waiting till next summer), looking at cold hearty and decent egg production, but I also want to consider raising any "culls" for meat, keeping the best of every generation to breed next year's crop. I'm kind of leaning towards Dorkings, Delawares and Buckeyes, with perhaps a Langshan or Cochin as a broodie. I'd love to keep in touch with you about what you decide and how it works. Maybe we can compare notes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by