Picking up hatching eggs at the post office...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wynette, May 6, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've seen numerous posts in the last few months about folks receiving eggs just left on the porch, upside down, people anxiously awaiting at home for their shipments....

Just wanted to mention that with most post offices, they do allow you to pick them up from the PO. That's what I always do. I go up there the day before I expect the eggs to arrive with a handwritten note with my name and address on it, plus my contact number, and ask that they please call me to pick them up rather than having them endure a ride in the bumpy postal truck all day. They've always been very accomodating, and although they don't remember to call each time (sometimes I just go on up and usually the eggs are there), they are always more than happy to hold the eggs for me there.

I don't know if this helps my hatches or not, but I've been pretty successful, so I have to think this may be a small part of it.

Just wanted to mention it, for folks that may not have known they can do this! [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Thats awsome advice , It should work with some or most of the PO people , I tried it here and one person said yes but then when I didnt get the call I called and the person in charge told me that they arnt allowed to hold the boxes for me to pick up [​IMG]
    I dont even know if thats true or not , I figure its my mail I should be able to pick it up if I want to but I dont know the laws

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Maybe it has to be a Priority box or something?

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    It might not be the case these days, but you used to be able to have the shipper designate "hold at PO for pick up". I've been thinking about trying this since I've had pretty poor luck with eggs delivered to the house. In my carriers defense, we are 12 miles out of town so the eggs ride for quite a while over sometimes poor roads many of which are not paved. On the other hand she is a very unpleasant wretch with way too much attitude, (all bad)!

How far have your shipped eggs traveled? I did have slightly better luck with the ones which traveled the shortest distance.

If they tell you you can't pick up at the PO, try calling someone a little further up the chain of command.

Jim

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've shipped eggs out that way before with the buyer's contact number(s) and the words "Please call for post office pick-up" above them. I have also had eggs labeled that way for me that I picked up, so it can be done.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    GReat ideas on labeling, folks - good to know it actually works! [​IMG]

7. Ole Bubba

Ole Bubba Out Of The Brooder

I am a retired POSTMASTER. You should be able to have the P O hold your eggs or any other package at the P O upon your request.
    If they tell you that they do not do that, ask them for the phone number of their Manager of Postal Operations, that should change their attitude.

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Ole Bubba, thanks for that pertinent info.! You're my hero! [​IMG]

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    We are a small town so people living in town only get their mail at the post office. Maybe thats a good thing considering how many stories I have heard about eggs being bumped and tossed around in the mail truck all day....but I wonder if it really matters when that kind of thing probably happens just to get TO the post office!
    I am sure too, that you can have packages held at the PO. I cant imagine why they WOULDNT do it.

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I call my Post Office when I expect shippment of eggs, also my carrier is aware than I prefer to pick mine in person in PO.

Most of the tome they oblige, and I have reasons to believe I am getting better hatches from shipped eggs picked up myself than from delivered by my carrier.

After all it spares the eggs a ride in heat or cold with 100's of stops before they get to my address.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by