Picking up our first chicks shortly!! Quick question...

JeninMN

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Hi Everyone!

We are wondering if you feed your chicks medicated feed along with putting vitamins / electrolytes in their water? We want to do what we need to to keep them healthy but we certainly do NOT want to over do it!!

Any and all advice MUCH appreciated
smile.png

Jen & Mike Lawrence

I add vitamins and raw unfiltered apple cider vinager (ACV) as well as probios (a probiotic) to their water. Watch the electrolytes. I know dlhunicorn has posted that they are hard on the system of the birds if they are not needed.

They are here!!! Going to pick them up now and get them home...how exciting
smile.png
Wish us luck, will update asap!

I don't use medicated starter OR vitamins/suppliments in the water.

While I've not got a huge track record, I can say I've never had a loss in 5 groups of brooded chicks so far...
fl.gif

Best of luck! I too don't use any water additives, I did sugar water once for some birds... but don't think it made a difference so I don't bother any more. I've brooded a few dozen batches from my own eggs to shipped birds and they do fine just on feed and with lots of warmth.

I still add a bit of sugar to the water, and it does seem to help for me. But where I live there are no close hatcheries and it takes 36 - 60 hours for them to get to me (depending on the PO) and it gives them quick energy. I use non-medicated feed, and have never had problems.

Medicated feed for the first 12 weeks and 2 tsp. sugar to one liter of water for the first 24 hours. Post some pics once you get them settled in!

I dont' use medicated feed, but I do put vitamins in their water for the first couple of weeks, then only twice a week after that. I've had excellent results with this method.

Lori

Back
Top Bottom