Picking up the chickens (and how they react)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alex_s, May 11, 2009.

1. alex_s

alex_s New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Hello, I'm new to chicken keeping but recently adopted two 16 week old black rock hens.

When we first got them they'd run away from you if you tried to pick them up but they'd be fine once you held them. Now they simply freeze and raise their wings (hunching, to look kinda like a vulture... it's very odd looking) one hen even stays in that position once you're holding her. Is this normal behaviour when you approach or pick up a hen?

2. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Two of my banties do that exact same thing. I've been told that they respect you when they do that. I think they're scared though.

I wish all my chickens reacted like that when I went to pick them up though. Makes it a lot easier when you're trying to round them up!

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I've read somewhere that it actually is the posture they would adopt if a rooster was around and they were receptive to him; so a general sign of respect and submission is how I see it.

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    they squat for you that's cute. a couple of mine do this for me I am always flattered.

5. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    egg squat is a good thing, mine used to do that but now they are more pets so they just hop on up on my lap or just wait for me to pick them up.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Yes, they do that when they are coming into laying age. It's normal and nothing to be concerned about. Mine continue to do it no matter how old they are. Good luck with your chickens! [​IMG] Genie

7. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Quote:This must be true. Today was the first day I got 6 eggs from my eight hens (instead of 2) and it's also the first time they let me "pet" them like we pet our dogs. I kinda thought they were posturing for a roo and found it most embarassing. I'm supposed to be their daddy, but they don't know what's happening to them.

Since I'm in the city, I can't have a roo, so I'm thinking of playing that Ambian commercial from the TV onto a recorder and playing it for them each morning.

Have I got it bad or WHAT!

8. alex_s

alex_s New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. I think you were right about them coming into laying age, we got our first egg this morning [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    LOL I read somewhere else on here that someone has a contest to see home much their hens shake afterwards. I'll try to find the link.

10. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Our 6 cluckers do the submission thing when I walk into the coop or run. When we first got them I would go into the coop at night and pick up each hen off of the roost and hold and pet them. Now I can pick them up anytime I like.
    This is the same behavior that you see in dogs, submission to the leader, roleover on their backs and expoce their belly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by