picking

bristol

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 7, 2015
why are my chickens picking on 1 of the other ones, I get her healed and let them free range and they attack her again.
they are attacking her side on the wings both sides and drawing blood . so now she is by herself outside ,she wants back in with the others but I don't want them to kill her. any ideas on why this is happening . the birds are 2 yrs and been together since birth

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry you are having flock troubles. Sometimes this happens and unfortunately, now it has probably become a bad habit. If you have the room, you can try to put the bully chickens in, one at a time with the injured hen after she has healed up.

Make sure she is well healed, no just stopped bleeding.

If you add one or two others with her that don't attack her, let them be together for a few days then try reintroducing the two or three back to the flock free ranging.

Sometimes being cooped up in the winter with bad weather causes behaviors as well as diet issues. If you see that they are actually eating the feathers they pick, you need to up the protein in their diet. Change the feed, give them canned fish or cooked eggs are some things you can do to increase protein.

Good luck. Hope you get some more suggestions.

why are my chickens picking on 1 of the other ones, I get her healed and let them free range and they attack her again.
they are attacking her side on the wings both sides and drawing blood . so now she is by herself outside ,she wants back in with the others but I don't want them to kill her. any ideas on why this is happening . the birds are 2 yrs and been together since birth

I would say it's normal but it's not hens always peck at each other but no that bad.
I think your going to have to separate her.
But Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom