2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. celery seed
6 garlic cloves
2 medium onions quartered
12 boiled eggs
Step1Bring 12 eggs to boil for about 15 minutes on stovetop.
Step2Remove the shells after cooling the eggs.
Step3Mix mustard with about half a cup of the vinegar in a saucepan. Blend well.
Step4Add next 6 ingredients. Heat this mixture to boiling. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Step5Pour over eggs after the mixture is cooled.
Step6Cover and refrigerate at least two days before eating.

As mentioned previous, saving your leftover pickle juice is the easiest of all. REd pepper flakes will make them tangy but not overly hot. They should never smell "sulfury". More like a jar of pickles, "vinegary"!

for soooooooo long i use to hate pickled eggs i thought they were the worst thing ever
sickbyc.gif

but i never tryed them to know that..lol so when i did try them for the first time i fell inlove now i'm a pickled egg freak myself
lol.png

Quote:
I am too! My Nana used to fix jars of pickled beets and eggs every year. Sadly, I don't have her recipe. I'm going to try the one above, but does anyone have one using beets?

Edited to fix my mistake for not reading the entire thread
roll.png

Last edited:
I've found that if I leave the boiled eggs in their shell over night, they peel easier the next morning.
Also, running them under the sink or holding them under water while peeling seems to help.

I boil fresh eggs quite often and I don't have a problem. I put them in a pot and cover them with cold water. I turn the stove on high and set my timer for 25 minutes. When the timer goes off I run under cold water to cool the pot. Then I cover the eggs with ice to let them cool completely before I peel them. The shells come off easily. Or you can boil them the day before and put them in the fridge.

Quote:
You can add tobasco sauce to any of the above recipes and they will be spicy. Another way is to buy the peppers or chilis and put them in vinegar themselves for about a week then add them and the vinegar to your eggs. I make pickled jalepenos and add them to my eggs. I'm in NM, we make everything spicy!

Some hot and spicy recipes:

Really Hot and Spicy Pickled Eggs

2 dozen hard-boiled eggs (peeled)
4 cups Distilled White Vinegar
1/8 cup vegetable oil (olive oil)
1 jar sliced hot jalapenos with juice (15 oz.) OR sport peppers in vinegar
1 medium onion (chopped fine)
3 tablespoons Hot habanero Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon Crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon Ground ginger
2 tablespoons Crushed garlic

Bring all of the above ingredients (except eggs) to a boil for 10 minutes in a covered pan. Remove from heat and cool.

Place the hard-boiled eggs in a non-aluminum container and pour the mixture over the eggs, making sure they are covered. Allow eggs to marinate in refrigerator for a minimum of 7 days before serving.

This one the heat depends on the peppers you use. Buy some hot pickled peppers and it really adds to it.

Ingredients
12 eggs hard boiled 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt 2 bay leaves
2 chili peppers 2 1/2 cup vinegar
2 tsp sugar 2 tbsp allspice
2 tbsp peppercorn 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions
Boil and shell eggs and pack in jars. Combine all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cool and pour over eggs. Seal jars and leave at least two weeks before eating. Eggs will keep several weeks without refrigeration. For extra spicy add one teaspoon cayenne pepper of 5 to 10 small fresh peppers.

If you like spicy without as much heat use banana peppers or greek peppers, if you like really hot use habanero, jalepeno, cayenne, or Thai Dragon for killer hot~!

Back
Top Bottom