Pickles. YOUR ideas and recipies.

I will definitely give this recipe a try. I know all about botulism. My great / and grandmother used to can all the time, and Ive read up on it for other things I do as well.

Once well prepared and sterilized, one should be good to go. Once you freeze dry it, you remove ALL the water from it and seal it. That should take care of the rest of the issues, the company that sells the stuff to DO this with, knows all about poisoning your customers as well, and tries not to do that !!

Freeze Drying makes storing easier and you don't have to worry about spoil dates, as they can potentially last DECADES.,

Im going out to pick some mousies now and will keep them in a jug in the freezer until I have enough to pickle a batch or two. one batch ill keep and then eat when ready, once they are ready, ill go F-dry the second batch and we can try them a year later.

Aaron

Good on you for having a freeze dryer. It is one of the best ways to preserve food, but is rather expensive up front. I use other techniques for food preservation- canning, drying, freezing, fermenting, etc. Don't know how well freeze drying will work for cucumbers, but it certainly won't hurt to try it. Worst case, they will likely go well in smoothies.

FYI- Since you are interested in food preservation, there are three primary ways to preserve eggs for the winter. Not sure how much this applies in Florida. You can freeze scrambled eggs, freeze dry scrambled eggs and use water-glassing to preserve whole eggs in their shells with no energy.

Last edited:
YES, that is exactly it !! TBH if I knew this thing would turn out to be so invasive, Id have planted it wayyyy over in the OTHER corner of my yard, yeesh !! no it's not a bad thing so far, but it WILL cover a wall, and potentially cover over any other plants you have, smothering them out !! So if you either intentionally or by mistake got them growing somewhere, you will NEED to keep a very tight eye on them, like ever few days tight eye and cull them when they come up or your native plants might suffer.

I thought I got a 'nice gift' when he gave these to me, but never did I expect them to go wild like they did !!

In the neutral zone right now whether they are a good or bad plant, I do get a lot of little cukies to eat and they ARE yummy, but INVASIVE is the new word for the day with them !!

Aaron

now I want it! it is fairly new in europe and is called cucamelon. not sure where I will find the seeds but it is a must! I have too many beaks to feed and it sounds perfect.

We have a simple one:
Take one tea spoon of salt for every cup of water. Put small cucumbers in a jar, add salter water, add tons of garlic cloves, a few spicy peppers, a lemon or two cut to quarters, and a handful of Shamir.
Then cover with a plastic wrap on the water line! And then cover with the jar’s cover. You basically leave that for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
THE END
*You don’t have to add spicy peppers if you hate them.
**shamir is this herb that smells nice and people put in their salads, it has pointy leaves, like a pine tree leaves, but soft…

shamir = dill (thanks google, lol)

now I want it! it is fairly new in europe and is called cucamelon. not sure where I will find the seeds but it is a must! I have too many beaks to feed and it sounds perfect.
Well the chickens do love it, mine nibble them off the vines, which in this case is ok considering its all over. Mousemelon, well they call it that, because of it size... or do they?

Last night my motion alarm went off (still waiting for that possum to return) grabbed air rifle only to find a rat on my table, it came out of my veggie tote by the house with the herbs in it.. and was chewing on... you guessed it, one of the cukies, so YES they ARE liked by more than one species. Mr rat is now Mr compost, and I have put out a few traps now that I know these things are back as well. I like the electric traps, zap they are dead, empty reset and repeat.

Aaron

edit they grow very easy, hard to kill, just throw one of the friggin things down and its sprouting :(

Back
Top Bottom