Pickles

archeryrob

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
Western Maryland
Are you all using the raw pack or hot pack methods? I just did some B&B and my daughter did some Dills all as raw pack. I like the crunch, but they seem to float and it might be excessively crunchy. I got a bunch more to wanted to see what you all are doing with yours.

I don't can anymore, but I used to do the raw pack. The pickles need to sit awhile before eating so the vinegar, and salt can do it's job of softening them up a bit. I always left them for a few months before eating them. You also need to really pack the jars tightly to avoid floating.

I made some kosher dills last week. Stuffed them in the jar as tight as I could and canned them in the water bath banner. I found 6 jars from last year and they are delicious! They do need to sit and change color before they’re actually pickled though. Crunchy is a good quality! They recommend putting grape, oak or cherry leaves in for tannins to help keep them crisp. I have cherry trees so that’s what I use.
Some types of cucumbers, and especially Overripe ones can get mushy. Still edible and delicious chopped into tuna salad or tartar sauce.

Back
Top Bottom