Picky about water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mikee1948, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I have water in the coop and in the pen. Each morning when I let them out of the coop, they run around a bit to get the sillys out of their system, and then they head to the outdoor water can and drink, all five of them. The water (plastic one) can in the coop is seemingly never touched but the food dish is. The water cans are filled the same time so one is not fresher than the other. Also, do you have food both inside and outside the coop? I lock my birds in at night.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Mine were excited about drinking a mud puddle instead of the nice clean water in their waterer. There's no accounting for taste. You don't need to have food and water in your coop if you are up at dawn to let them out. But if you don't get right out there, I'd keep at least a small feeder and waterer inside.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Why did the chicken cross the road? Because what ever is over "there" is always better. That's just how they are. Make sure you keep the waterer clean and free of algea and if they need the water, they will drink it.

4. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Mine do the same thing. Silly birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by